Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading the forms and some great tips on maintenance. I have been having problems with my 500 and gas leaking out of the carb overflow tube. I want to clean the carb and fix the leaking gas. Started the project today and ran into some issues.

1. How do you remove the throttle cables on the carb? Everything else is off and need to get these cables off.

2. Where is the plastic seal that is causing the overflow gas leak? I have no rubber seal when I pulled the cover off. Only a set screw that is cranked all the way in.

3. Is this normal - took pictures of how the carb looks now. Should the covers not be closed?

Anything to help as the leaking is a daily issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was able to get the carb off and cleaned. I noticed my overflow needle uses a metal washer instead of plastic. 3rd picture with the round flat head screw. Should I put in a plastic washer instead? I don't want to reassembly and have the same issue with gas pouring out the overflow tube.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Your gas overflow is most likely caused by a leaking needle/seat which is under the pivot of the float.

The best remedy for this is a carb kit. You can get them fairly cheap on eBay.

Your carb will not be cleaned until you remove all the jets and clean the internal passage ways and blow them out with compressed air. Be sure you have an assembly diagram to go by or make pics/notes when you disassemble.

Be sure to check your float level before you put the bowl back on. If it's not correct you will still end up with gas overflow or no gas overflow but a low gas level in the float bowl causing a lean run condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the seat and seal. Put everything back on and fired up tonight. At idle the engine stalls out. When I apply a little throttle, revs to high to put in gear. Needs to be in gear while engine is off to drive now. Start up and take off, runs strong - better then before. Let the gas off and engine stalls out again. I only drove for a couple minutes - could air still be in the system? Also backfires when engine cuts off. This was not a problem before. What is causing the lean condition? How do you tell if the float level is not correct? Looked fine when I put everything back together.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you remove and clean the pilot jet and main jet (or hopefully replace them with the kit)?
Did you clean the carb body passages while you had the jets removed?

It sounds as though you have a lean-run condition. This could be caused by incorrect float level, restrictions in jets/passages or restricted fuel supply (fuel valve or fuel pump).

I don't have the model carb you have so I can't provide a detailed float setting procedure. You will have to get a service manual for that or maybe someone here with the same model can chime in.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my float is good. Was able to fix the lean condition by adjusting the set screw on the carb. No more backfire. But the engine kept stalling after releasing the throttle switch. The switch felt a little loose so I opened the cover and noticed two metal connections. When the switch was released the connections came together and stalled the quad. While I was trying to adjust the switch the spring popped off and kept the connections from coming together. Quad runs great now. Not sure if this was a safety cut off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts