Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i made a post last week about quad tranny not going in gear, but after inspection i think i found the problem so now need suggestions. i took off clutch cover and noticed that the front clutch doesnt go in like it supposed to when pushing the gas to make the belt move up. the atv sat up for 2 years before i got it and a new belt has been installed. should i try to spray wd40 on clutch to see if it will loosen up and squeeze in as it should? can this be fixed easily or do i need to buy a whole new clutch? desperate to get atv running before bow season starts but my budget is limited and all help and advice is appreciated. thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
take off the belt and primary cover and see what's wrong. No lubricant of any kind as it will get all over your belt and make it slip. Probably a stuck bushing from corrosion. Cleaning up the shaft with a scotch brite pad and get it to slide freely.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I agree 100%. Pull the primary, carefully mark positions and clean inspect. Be careful if you diss assemble the "cover" is under spring pressure. You can remove carefully loosening screws EVENLY WHILE APPLYING DOWN PRESSURE.

But be sure you mark the way it's togather BEFORE TAKING APART. Needs to be reassembled same way/ position.

Once out of bike, some lube penetration oils can be used but DO NOT SOALK IT! Oil will per oats the metal causing issues down the road.

Once you get it loosened up and functioning clean all parts with good degreaser. I Ike acetone. But brake parts cleaner is ok too. Then WARM SOAP AND WATER!!!

Re assemble and install you should be back to hauling deer!

Good luck hunting,

Cw

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help guys, but im curious....if it is stuck from sitting so long wont it be hard to push down to take pressure of spring so i can remove bolts?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
not really unless its rusted solid. There are three little weights that weigh about a few ounces each that get flung out and close the primary when its running. I am sure you weigh more than that. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts