Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am not sure what is happening but the other day my Son took our 1996 ATV Polaris Sport out and said as he was climbing a small hill the bike "slipped out of gear" so he thought. So he put it back in drive and gave it gas and nothing happened. So he pushed it back home. I took off the cover plate to see if the belt had busted and it looked in tact. So I took a video of what was happening once I put the bike in drive and gave it gas. Please take a look -->

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me on what may be going on and what I can do to fix it. Thank you so much and I look forward to your response.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Clutches seem to be working right, if it wont move must be broken chain, stripped sprocket or something broken in tranny, I would get wheels off the ground and see where things quit turning, start at sprocket coming out of tranny on the right side.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hello everyone. I am not sure what is happening but the other day my Son took our 1996 ATV Polaris Sport out and said as he was climbing a small hill the bike "slipped out of gear" so he thought. So he put it back in drive and gave it gas and nothing happened. So he pushed it back home. I took off the cover plate to see if the belt had busted and it looked in tact. So I took a video of what was happening once I put the bike in drive and gave it gas. Please take a look --> 1996 Polaris Sport clutch or belt not engaging when I put it in drive and give it gas - YouTube

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me on what may be going on and what I can do to fix it. Thank you so much and I look forward to your response.
+1 on what others have mentioned to check for. I'd bet its the chain.

I just gotta say THANK YOU for being so descriptive with your issue, the video is a great help. Nice work newbie :fing02: Welcome to the Board!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Russ C.

Clutches seem to be working right, if it wont move must be broken chain, stripped sprocket or something broken in tranny, I would get wheels off the ground and see where things quit turning, start at sprocket coming out of tranny on the right side.
Thank you Russ C. I will do as you said and let you know what I find out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Hello everyone. I am not sure what is happening but the other day my Son took our 1996 ATV Polaris Sport out and said as he was climbing a small hill the bike "slipped out of gear" so he thought. So he put it back in drive and gave it gas and nothing happened. So he pushed it back home. I took off the cover plate to see if the belt had busted and it looked in tact. So I took a video of what was happening once I put the bike in drive and gave it gas. Please take a look --> 1996 Polaris Sport clutch or belt not engaging when I put it in drive and give it gas - YouTube

+1 on what others have mentioned to check for. I'd bet its the chain.

I just gotta say THANK YOU for being so descriptive with your issue, the video is a great help. Nice work newbie :fing02: Welcome to the Board!!!!
Thanks man. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Ok so I am thinking it's the transmission after all. I put it up on a block, gave it some gas and the back wheels didn't turn at all. So I turned it off and made this video that shows you what happens when I put it in drive and turn the back wheels. -

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Its probably the chain or gear INSIDE your transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts