Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, obviously. Does any one have access to the Repair/Service Manual for the 1996 Polaris Sportsman 400L 4x4? I just acquired two of these beasts, and need as much information on them as possible.

Thank you,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
14,088 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7 Posts
No fuel pump on the W968040
View attachment 163140
Good to know. Our problem is that we can get the machine started and ride for about a minute under load before it dies. If you wait a second it starts back up and does the same thing. Have rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel valve and lines and still have the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
19,001 Posts
My guess is either the fuel tank or carb float bowl is not vented properly or the CDI charge coil of the stator is failing - in rare cases something in the exhaust is causing excessive back pressure and when the pressure in the exhaust equals the intake vacuum, the engine will die - setting allows the pressure to escape and it will run for awhile again.

If it's a venting problem on the fuel tank, you can diagnose it by removing the fuel line at the carb, put the hose in a quart jar and turn on the fuel - if the tank is getting a vacuum condition, the fuel will slow and maybe stop until the vacuum is relieved (take the cap off).

·
Registered
7 Posts
My guess is either the fuel tank or carb float bowl is not vented properly or the CDI charge coil of the stator is failing - in rare cases something in the exhaust is causing excessive back pressure and when the pressure in the exhaust equals the intake vacuum, the engine will die - setting allows the pressure to escape and it will run for awhile again.

If it's a venting problem on the fuel tank, you can diagnose it by removing the fuel line at the carb, put the hose in a quart jar and turn on the fuel - if the tank is getting a vacuum condition, the fuel will slow and maybe stop until the vacuum is relieved (take the cap off).
We worked on the bike last night and found some more info out. Exhaust had quite a lot of hunt in it so we cleaned it out but that didn’t fix our issue. Would anyone have the routing of the vent lines on the carb? That’s our next place to look.

·
Administrator
19,001 Posts
Font Line Parallel Auto part Rectangle

Routing is not critical, the drain hose just dangles down below the engine and the vent hose is located high up on the frame and looped downward to prevent water from entering - most important is they are open and not blocked in any fashion (mud, toothpick, grease, screw, over tightened zip tie crushing hose) you might be surprised at all the things I have blocking the vent including insects, spider web and JB Weld

·
Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 163217

Routing is not critical, the drain hose just dangles down below the engine and the vent hose is located high up on the frame and looped downward to prevent water from entering - most important is they are open and not blocked in any fashion (mud, toothpick, grease, screw, over tightened zip tie crushing hose) you might be surprised at all the things I have blocking the vent including insects, spider web and JB Weld
Got back around to the machine. Still having a running issue but now the pull rope broke so we can’t start it. What all needs to be done to get the recoil starter off?

·
Administrator
19,001 Posts
Without looking in the service manual; remove the RH floorboard, remove the chain cover, remove the chain from the transmission to the jack shaft, remove the 6mm bolts (10 mm socket) holding the cover on, whap with a plastic dead blow hammer to loosen and pull it off.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts