Polaris ATV Forum banner

1996 Polaris Sportsman 400L 4x4 Service / Repair Manual

14K views 95 replies 30 participants last post by  Kwilkins 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, obviously. Does any one have access to the Repair/Service Manual for the 1996 Polaris Sportsman 400L 4x4? I just acquired two of these beasts, and need as much information on them as possible.

Thank you,

Jeff

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum

#13 ·
Good to know. Our problem is that we can get the machine started and ride for about a minute under load before it dies. If you wait a second it starts back up and does the same thing. Have rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel valve and lines and still have the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated

#14 ·
My guess is either the fuel tank or carb float bowl is not vented properly or the CDI charge coil of the stator is failing - in rare cases something in the exhaust is causing excessive back pressure and when the pressure in the exhaust equals the intake vacuum, the engine will die - setting allows the pressure to escape and it will run for awhile again.

If it's a venting problem on the fuel tank, you can diagnose it by removing the fuel line at the carb, put the hose in a quart jar and turn on the fuel - if the tank is getting a vacuum condition, the fuel will slow and maybe stop until the vacuum is relieved (take the cap off).

#16 ·
Font Line Parallel Auto part Rectangle

Routing is not critical, the drain hose just dangles down below the engine and the vent hose is located high up on the frame and looped downward to prevent water from entering - most important is they are open and not blocked in any fashion (mud, toothpick, grease, screw, over tightened zip tie crushing hose) you might be surprised at all the things I have blocking the vent including insects, spider web and JB Weld

#18 ·
Without looking in the service manual; remove the RH floorboard, remove the chain cover, remove the chain from the transmission to the jack shaft, remove the 6mm bolts (10 mm socket) holding the cover on, whap with a plastic dead blow hammer to loosen and pull it off.

#26 ·
Hey Latebird, I saw your comment and I too have a 1996 Sportsman 400, 2stroke, liquid cooled. I was hoping you could send me the service manual you have? I can't find a free copy anywhere!

This machine was my uncles. He got injured years ago and she has sat most of her life. Just 1034hours!

I'm about to fall in love with this thing and when I do, it's all over! I'm talking everything will be perfect!

Hoping you can help me!

Thanks!

#33 ·
#34 ·
Hey everybody,

Im new to this forum and any forums. No idea if I'm in the right place. I have a 97 Sportsman 400L am trying to find the part number for the oiler assy. Every document has part number for most of the individual parts, but not the oiler assy itself. Can anyone help?

#35 ·
Welcome to the forum

#48 ·
Welcome to the forum

#52 ·
Font Window Pattern Screenshot Automotive exterior
to the forum
Gas Font Automotive lighting Ball Vehicle registration plate

#54 · (Edited)
Font Line Window Pattern Screenshot
to the forum
Ball Gas Font Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting