Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through a lot of posts but can't seem to find an answer to this other than it is a common problem. I have a 1996 Sportsman 500 that I have removed the "U-joints" from both rear axles but I cannot get the yokes to come out of the rear diff. I have both bolts removed from the centers of both yokes that screw into the spacer inside of the diff, I have tried lubicant and rust penetrating oils, center bolt pullers and a hammer shaft puller. I removed the seals and applied heat on the inner bearing race and heat on the yoke inside of the housing and heat through the center of the yoke after taking out the bolts that are to hold the yokes into the diff. CAn anyone offer any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 97 and have one axle in the rear that I can't get off... I was able to take one side out and tried to hit the other one out also taking caution not to break the rear diff... I ended up putting on new joints with it in the diff. I figured better fix it as is then break the casing. If you find a trick be sure to let us know.
I now take my axles out and put anti-seize on them once a year.
good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

My problem is that I need to change the seals so I need to get the axles out. If and when I do get them out, removing them yearly to lubricate them would be a good idea.

·
11,911 Posts
If you have the joints out and the retaining bolts out, all I can think of is keep soaking with PB Blaster and use a slide hammer. You might also try whacking them good with a big hammer to break the rust bond loose. Let us know how it goes.
Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
like polman said.. soak it several times a day for 3 plus days and then give it a try. once the pb gets in the joint it will come out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You Both

Thanks polman and scsport. It has been sitting since Monday soaking and tried it again last night. I'm going to let it sit for 2 more days and then I think the only option I may have is to cut the yokes off outside of the housing, split the housing and then cut the yokes out of the differential gear inside the housing. Priced new axles yesterday at $186.00 each and today I am going to see what the inner gear and bearings will run me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally Popped

The yoke finally popped last night. I made a puller of sorts, out of 1" cold roll steel and drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle of it. I put the rod through both sides of the yoke with a bolt and nut through the hole I had drilled. When I turned the bolt and held the nut firm in place the bolt went inward and pushed on the 9/16" bolt that is meant to hold the yoke into the rear differential. After a lot of pressure the yoke popped off. For the other side I took a scaling bar and went through the differential and hit it a few times with a 2 pound sledge. It finally popped as well. Got the new seals in and everything back together. Thank you all for your help with this. Very much appreciated.

·
11,911 Posts
Good job! It often takes some serious persuasion when they haven't been out for years. A good cleanup and antiseize helps a lot for the next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts