Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have an awesome 96 Sportsman 400. Hunts like a animal and has for 17 years. This year, the carb. drips gas out of the bottom with the engine off unless you turn the gas valve off. ( It will empty the tank on the garage floor if you forget to turn the valve off.) I was told by a Polaris mechanic that
"the needle valve is worn out and not seated."
Is this an easy fix by me and does this sound like the truth.????

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We got our carb kit in last week and got it off the bike yesterday. Is it easy I am not sure yet but after about 10 hours of studying diagrams, shop manual and the parts in the kit I am ready to learn how hard it is soon. I need to teach the kids how to do it so I am studying it more than required so I do not look stupid as the teacher. :)

These last days of fall weather ends this week and today we have gates and fencing to finish up so the mini horses will have access to a roof over their heads before freezing rain time. :)

In our kit the seat/o-ring and needle came together is a separate bag inside the bad with the rest of the parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is pretty easy to do.

It could be the needle not seating or the floats are sticking. Which in turn making fuel come out the overflow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did a carb inspection and cleaning, and it is not that bad of a job. I would plan on about a day if you have never done it before. I would also recommend a new fuel filter. I also run Sea Foam fuel treatment in gas on regular basis to keep things clean. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Before you tear into it, you may find some benefit of digging around youtube for a few minutes - I typed in "how do floats in a carburetor work" and had a couple of hits show up. Keep in mind that floats are fairly universal in application, so do not get hung up on model, make, etc.

I have had many snowmobiles do what you are describing and having done the job lots of times, agree with everyone on the thread - it is not a difficult job and new needle/seat/gaskets seems to be just what is in order. Check the float too - there should not be any moisture inside (if metal).

·
Registered
526 Posts
While a different animal perhaps we just put a kit in our 325 Magnum carb. Our over flow stem had become clogged so it flowed into the cylinder. Actually I think all we needed was a new needle and seat for the shut off valve out of our rebuilt kit ($50) but went ahead and used all the parts in the kit. Our float was fine and we worked directly from the Polaris shop manual. Thanks to Harbor Freight we have a ton of small hand tools and we used several in the process. I really questioned my ability a few times to get deep seated jets out without stripping the screw driver slot first but we make it OK.

Keeping SeaFoam in the gas going forward is a great idea we have found that was mentioned by Carver. There are other brands of carbon remover/gas stabilizer but SeaFoam is at most any place that sells motor oil in these parts. Used Stabil before I learned about SeaFoam. Stabil will not clean the fuel system and remove piston carbon however which is two things small engines need in my experience.

As others state take your time and use the web. Do you have a factory/quality shop manual?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Carb kit + shop manual + YouTube + beer + PATVF = you CAN do it!!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Carb kit + shop manual + YouTube + beer + PATVF = you CAN do it!!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
HAHA EXACTLY

Part of the issue is the ethanol blended gasoline we pump in our tanks today, it eats away at the older machines carbs internal gaskets/O-rings. The newer needle and seat / rebuild kits contain gaskets that ethanol will not affect.

Its actually quite easy to service the carbs. Use your cell phone camera or camcorder as you disassemble to aid you in the reassembly of the carb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most likely your issue is a leaking o ring for the float needle, take the carb off and remove the float and float needle. take a pair of needle nose and pull out the fitting that the float needle seats into, there is an o-ring in there that is most likely worn out. I had the same problem on a scrambler 500 and now my 01 sportsman 500. Easy and cheap fix though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts