Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, and new to Polaris's. I recently bought a 96 Sportsman 400 with 1100 miles on it. Still has the factory Goodyear rear tires! I’ve owned a bunch of 2 strokes throughout the years so I figured I would be able to wrench on it myself. I bought it knowing that the “hot light” comes on when you turn the key and doesn’t go back off until the key is turned off. I have read a bunch of different forums and they all say pretty much the same thing. I’ve read that if coolant is coming out of the weap hose, the water pump seals are shot. I also read that if you take the top radiator hose off and turn the machine on, and coolant comes out of it, your pump is fine. Well, my machine is doing both. At idle, it runs perfectly. Once you give it some throttle, it pukes what looks like coolant/oil mix out of the weap hose. But the top hose of the radiator is still getting coolant. Ideas? Do I just change out the seals for the water pump? Is there a really solid upgrade I can do while I have the outer case off? I got this bike for $600, btw.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Since water pump seals and bearings are no longer available from Polaris you will have to find an aftermarket WP kit or consider bypassing the internal water pump with an electric external water pump. The OEM water pump is driven by the counter balance and the pump shaft is often damaged beyond repair by corrosion. If the pump shaft is damaged it requires pulling the counterbalance and may be rebuilt in a machine shop since the counterbalance is NLA from Polaris.

I suggest applying the cost of repairing the water pump toward the electric pump modification.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts