Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 Sportsman 500 and having issues with the belt slipping.

I haven't been able to drive it much lately since it's at my parent's at the moment. But, when I parked it there it ran fine and I had just replaced the main spring and weights along with a new Polaris OE belt. Right after replacing all of that we used it on our farm for a day or two setting tree stands and it ran great. It's been a few months since I drove it so I decided to take it for a spin today.

It started right up and took off in low and it drove fine. Drove for about 5 minutes so decided to put it in High and it just wouldn't go anywhere. Put it back in low and it wouldn't get out of it's own way. Iimped it back and let it sit for a bit. After it cooled down I took it out again and it ran just fine like nothing was slipping. Once it got warm it started slipping. So I went back and took the cover off and the clutch surfaces were shiny smooth. Roughed them up and went out, and again it ran find until it warmed up. When I got back the surfaces were smooth and shiny. Roughing up the surfaces with a scotch-brite pad didn't seem to help. When I had the cover off and driving, the clutch wouldn't squeeze the belt. I'm guessing it's the belt slipping and not being able to engage the clutch so it doesn't catch and compress?

What can I do to fix it? Can I scuff the surfaces with a more aggressive grit to create more grooves? Something like 150/200 (or more coarse) or would that harm the clutch surfaces? I remember when I replaced everything I scuffed it all up really good since I had it all apart.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Clutch is centrifugal and will operate belt on or off - if it is not closing and slipping, it needs to be serviced or rebuilt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch has been rebuilt. I replaced all springs and weights but it's still slipping. I might not have cleaned and scuffed the sheaves very well when I did it.

Can I use a fine sandpaper or emory cloth to get a little more bit vs the scotchbrite pads? The scotchbrite pads didn't seem to scuff hardly at all.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Scuffing the sheaves is no more a solution than sanding a brake rotor to make it stop better - sanding a brake rotor is done to remove glaze in an effort to stop brake squeal and it works for a while, but the sanding does not improve the braking function - just eliminates squeal (sometimes) - installing new brake pads and changing compositions works better.

Either the primary clutch will not close completely or the secondary clutch will not open fully - redo both clutches.this time starting with the driven clutch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The primary clutch was rebuilt about 6 months ago and has maybe 10 miles on it since the rebuilt. I'll look into the secondary clutch. I'm not going to rebuilt the primary when it was just rebuilt. It closes normally without the belt.

Why would it slip only when it's warm?

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Why would it slip only when it's warm?
Is the belt installed in the correct direction? Is the belt slipping on the primary clutch or the secondary clutch? Maybe the belt is inferior to the original belt?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's installed in the correct direction. That's one of the first things I checked. It's also a Polaris OE belt and it's slipping on the primary clutch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Little update on my situation.

I cleaned the sheaves with emery cloth and cleaned the belt with soap and water really well. Started up the ATV and drove around in low for about 10 minutes. I tried High and it wouldn't go anywhere. I revved really high but didn't move. Put it back in Low and it did the same them. I could go maybe 5-10 mph with it almost floored. I'm wondering if putting it in High caused the belt to slip and it continued slipping in Low.

I let it sit for maybe 5 minutes and drove it again. Everything worked fine in Low for about half a mile then it started slipping again.

As I said earlier the primary clutch has been rebuilt with new spring, weight, etc. I checked for any play with the buttons and everything is tight and it functions fine when the belt is off. Could it be the secondary clutch needs to be rebuilt? I can't tell you how many times I have cleaned the belt and sheaves but it continues to do this. I've even replaced the belt twice. The current belt on there now has maybe less than 10 miles on it.

Edit: I'll need to verify this but I don't think the secondary clutch was moving in and out while driving. The primary was functioning correctly but I don't think the belt was moving in the secondary at all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can use a dry graphite lube on the moving parts of the clutches. Keep it away from the sheaves and belt obviously. The belt was probably slipping when cold but had enough grip to go. Then the belt gets hot from slipping and wont go anymore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also want to go ahead and replace the spring on the driven clutch but I can't seem to find a rebuild kit for my ATV and year. It's a 1996 Sportsman 500.

What color spring is in the driven clutch that year?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts