Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Xplorer 400 in great shape except the Speed-o doesnt work. To troubleshoot it I disconnected the speedo cable from the transmission and hooked up to a drill. It spun up just fine and the speedometer/odometer worked correctly. So therefore it looks like the problem is in the transmission or the hook-up point to the transmission.

I have looked at the microfiche and just cant find the fiche that shows the connection of the speed-o cable to the transmission?!?!?? It looks just like the speed-o connection on my Polaris snowmobiles (I think they re-use lots of parts between models and even ATV to snowmobile). Can anybody post a link to the microfiche for this part?? I am trying to get the part number for the hub that the speedo cable hooks up to, which in turn is bolted to the left side of the transmission by three bolts.

Second, whats the chances that the bolt on part is the problem and not something internal in the transmission?? Really want to have a working speedometer/odometer, but not planning on pulling and cracking open the entire transmission if that is where the problem lies!

Thanks for any help!
Travis

·
Registered
505 Posts
Browse
I think it's listed under the pod parts. It's a right angle drive. You can probably test it by removing it from the side of the transmission without taking the transmission apart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, for the next guy (if any) the parts are:

3280218 Drive Adapter
3280217 Seedo Drive key
5020741 Bushing Speedo drive

BTW, it is listed under the headlight microfiche, who would have thought?? I am going to replace all the parts just to make sure it is done right. $47.19 with shipping for all of it through various sources on eBay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts