Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having some major electrical issues. i put a new battery and starter solenoid and its still not right. we jumped it off with my jeep before i had a battery for it (with out the jeep running) and i think that might have fried CDI/ECM box or the regulator. or it could be its not grounded good somewhere. the key and kill switch are still working cause i can pull start it and turn it off with the switch or key. im kind out of ideas, if anyone has any ideas that i could try it would be great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 96 did the same thing, the wire from the push button starter switch was broken in the harness along the handle bars.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i replaced the cdi box, the regulator(which was messed up) and a new starter, and a new ignition key. i push the start button with the key on and it just clicks once every time i hit the button. i can jump it with a screw driver by touching the two terminals on the starter solenoid and it starts right up. any one have anything to test check or redo to see why its still not starting?

·
Registered
30 Posts
try the starter solenoid. If the starter works by jumping and the quad starts it means everything is working except solenoid, which is clicking meaning it is getting the signal but not switching the main power to the starter. Basically the solenoid isn't working or no ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the solenoid is new. i switched the old one back on and it wont even click when i hit the start button. could i have gotten a bad solenoid from the get go?

is there any way i can test the solenoid to see if it is bad?

·
Registered
30 Posts
He said he can jump the 2 terminals on the solenoid and it will start up.

I'd get another solenoid, this one is either faulty, wrong one, or a Chinese copy that doesn't work. Make sure to buy a quality part if not an oem one.

But... double check that the 2 wires aren't crossed, aka, put on the wrong terminal , but I don't think it would matter here.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts