Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, great forum you all have here.

Ok, I bought this bike and the guy says he replaced the CDI, Coil and Wire. They look new, so I believe this to be true. He says he had it running, next day it wouldnt start, and he it through working on it. It had compression, so I bought it.

I got it home, pulled the panel, and every wire is pulled from the junction box panel.....every single one....have no idea why. Some insulation was pulled back from some red wires leading to cdi, I hope this was just to test. Yellow wires, same deal.

I have worked on outboards, and it looks like the same setup.....Stator, Trigger (coil pickup), CDI, Coil, (and what I believe to be two Rectifiers). Am I right to asume that my bike should have spark, unless it is grounded out, like an outboard? Or does it need a 12v source to produce spark?

I spent some time identifying wires and I got it to spin over with the switch. The Stator, pickup, Cdi, coil, (and what i think are two rectifiers) are plugged in in a series with what look a stock wiring harness. I isolated the grounding kill wires, both keyswitch and kill switch.

If anyone knows of a website where I could find a look at a schematic of the wiring on this bike, I sure would apreciate it.

I pulled the flywheel, and the stator doesnt look all corroded, the copper is still shiny, doesnt look like the plastic coating is all melted. All the leads seem solid, no corrosion, wires dont look burnt. However, i can tell there was water in there at some point in time. I took off the stator and pickup, cleaned the contacts and the magnets, reinstalled. Still no spark.

Can anyone give some advice on how to test the Stator, coil pickup, CDI, Coil, and the rectifier(s)? Or any other advice on troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance for any help, Mike

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for having me Bruce!

Again, any help would be apreciated.

More info, I am looking to identify the following wires:

On front of steering column, may be voltage regualtor/rectifier:
white
green
black
Brown

Leading from the LH handlebar switches:
purple
Grey/white
Green

Leading from the dash:
purple
Green
Blue/white
Brown.

Maybe there is a rule of thumb, what color does what. Like trailer Lights-white=ground, Green Yellow= turn and brake, brown= running.

Even if you only know one or some of the color codes, I would apreciate it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
To test the stator you will need the specs from the service manual as I can not remember them. Just unplug the wires that come out from underneath the recoil then you will be able to test for ohms resistance. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Stator replaced with used one off ebay. Now stator is working. No spark. Starting to get a little frustrated. I need to find out about this wiring! Just a color photo of the wires going into the junction box would really help.

I wonder if the previous owner blew out the new cdi? He says he unhooked all the wires in the junction box, and it ran...he shut it off and no spark in the morning.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
You really need to get a service manual..With a wiring diagram you will be able to trace all the wires and hook 'em up. Without a wiring diagram you will be guessing=blown parts/wires........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts