Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1997 polaris sportsman 500 and i was wondering if it is supposed to be a locking diff. and true 4x4. If so i was wondering why i only have one tire that spins. Also i was wondering if anyone had any ideas why when i am in high gear and try to go full speed it starts to bog down when i push the throttle all the way?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
true 4 wheel drive. if only one and the same axle engages , then you have outer hub issues.
you could try changing the hub fluid sometimes that fixes it.
does it want to rev up ,when it's it low range?
if you want help, give plenty of details

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
All 4 wheels spin. A wire may be broken going to the hub. If its bogging down you may have a carb issue with the needle or main jet. Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Bogging down may be airbox related. Do you have a complete airbox with the air filter in and factory snorkel tube? If not it will run really lean and bog at full throttle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything is stock on it. Its when your in high gear and going about 25/30mph, trying to go faster, it starts to bog down like the ignition is cutting or its not getting enough gas. I cleaned the carb and its still the same. For the 4x4 i took apart the whole hub and cleaned everying and adjusted the magnet and then put new fluid in and its still not spinning in 4x4. Please Help?

·
Registered
348 Posts
your belt might be slipping

·
Registered
30 Posts
Make sure you replace your armature plate... At the very least lap it. Check for voltage, if no voltage the connector parted near the handlebar stem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same problem with the 4x4 with only one wheel spinning and there is power going to both hubs and magnets work when I push in the switch, I cleaned the hub and put new fluid in. Still not working

1 - 8 of 8 Posts