Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a neglected 97 Xplorer 400 and I've been getting back in working order. It's been going pretty well but I can't seem to fix this problem.

The drivers side front hub wont disengage when in forward gear. It will in reverse but only when the bypass switch isn't triggered. When the bypass is triggered, it will engage on that side (even if the 4x4 button isn't engaged).

Normally I'd think it was a mechanical issue with that hub, but it will cut out in reverse (with the bypass engaged), leading me to believe it's electrical.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just picked up a neglected 97 Xplorer 400 and I've been getting back in working order. It's been going pretty well but I can't seem to fix this problem.

The drivers side front hub wont disengage when in forward gear. It will in reverse but only when the bypass switch isn't triggered. When the bypass is triggered, it will engage on that side (even if the 4x4 button isn't engaged).

Normally I'd think it was a mechanical issue with that hub, but it will cut out in reverse (with the bypass engaged), leading me to believe it's electrical.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
looks like the hubs dried out and killed all the bearings, armature plate, and possibly the Hillard Clutch assembly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts