Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My water pump went in my scrambler. I took it apart and the shaft on the counter balancer that drives the water pump broke off of the gear face. I have read that there can be grooves made over time from the seal I guess but there was barely any grooves not more then a couple hairs off your head. I am curious on why it broke because all the bearings are really good and there was no obstruction, looks like it just broke off. I did bottom out kinda hard on a rock through the trails but I don’t see how that would have anything to do with it. Anyone have any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I have seen allot of post of this happening especially with a 20 year old machine. Thought about converting to an electric water pump but decided against it. Hope this is the only time it happens

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
How do you plan on fixing it? Although the counter balance shaft has been superseded from 3084172 to 3087042 and it's still available, it costs $580! I could get you one for about $400 as could a sympathetic dealer, but is it worth fixing?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found one on eBay for $100 it has no grooves in it so it should be good to go. If it breaks again I will be figuring out how to make an electric pump work, found one for $150 just wasn’t sure if it had enough liters per minute to match up to oem

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
It's not the grooves from the seal that caused the break - it was the failure to radius the transition from one diameter to another diameter of the shaft. Inspect the replacement shaft carefully and maybe take it to a machine shop for modification before installation. A good machinist should be able to look at the breakage and suggest a modification that will prevent future breakage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts