Polaris ATV Forum banner

1997 Scrambler (Rescued from near death.)

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  scrammy97 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. A couple of months ago I bought a 97 Scrambler 400 4x4 for little to nothing. I thought it was a steal, and possibly I may still be in luck. I have put over $400 in parts just to get it riding again. I took it on a ride the other weekend and after riding for about 25-30 minutes, it would shut off as I would go down a hill or set still for awhile, then it would take a good 5 minutes or more to get it to start and it would backfire and sputter while trying to start it. Well I gave up and took it to the trailer and jumped on the Wolverine (rather have rode the scrammy). I had a guy who has worked on 2-strokes for years come and look at it and he rebuilt the carb and the wheeler started right up and idled as perfect as it could. Rode it around the yard and up and down the road (long enough to get to normal temp) and it ran fine. Went to jump on it the other day to move it and it would not start. (Took a good 2-3 minutes to start it.) Then after I started it that time, it started back up. Went to start it today and it was hesitating to start so I just didn't start it because I was just messing around. What could be the issue. Before it started, I would just hit the button and it'd fire up. I don't know what the deal is but it is really starting to aggravate me. Please help me guys, so I don't give up on this wheeler! :disappointed::disappointed:

#2 ·
What have you put into it?

I would check and make sure you have the proper jetting in the carb, not sure if those have chokes or not if they do check and make sure your cable isn't pulled too tight. Check your carb boots and make sure they aren't cracked. Check the reed valves behind the carburetor and make sure they aren't cracked.

does it stutter or bog like like a fuel/air thing or does it just drop dead like an electrical thing?

#3 ·
I have put several things into. Things involving the motor would be only a new head gasket and mew exhaust springs. Wheeler had set when I bought it for several years and i changed the gas and it started back up. Top end was said tp be rebuilt 2 years ago with Wiesco piston. Carb was just looked at by 2 stroke mechanic and he said the reeds looked good. When he started it after messing with the carb he said it sounded perfect. It kind of bogs amd shuts off. You cant really tell because you cant hear it idle while riding. Only when accelerating.

#4 ·
Does it have a fuel filter? It could be something as silly as a partially clogged filter. I am not sure if those have a fuel pump either but that may be another thing to check. I've seen the diaphram in those tear and only semi work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Dont think it has a fuel filter that I have seen and it doesnt have a fuel pump. When you go to atart it you have to hold the gas 1/4th or the way in and then wait for it to kick on after constantly tunring over to the point when it sounds like its running but its not.

#6 ·
I don't know all that much about them but just to be sure it is a 2 stroke right?

#8 ·
Okay I was just double checking because it sounds exactly like something tight valves would cause. Have you checked your compression?

#10 ·
I would check that out. My sportsman had a problem where it didn't get enough compression until your spun the engine fast enough it didn't need as much.

#12 ·
It's possible you blew out the head gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.