Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change the oil pump seal on my 1997 Sportsman 500, I have read the post on doing the water pump seal change on the newer models.
Is everything basically the same on the 1997?
Also on the post I read it said to replace the Nylock nut the 1997 doesn't have a Nylock it has a different style.
Does this need to be replaced or can it be reused?

Any suggestions or tips on doing the older models?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
There is no seal in the oil pump of the 500 and it requires complete engine disassembly to access the oil pump - you must be referring to the water pump seal?

The 97 used an acorn nut with a copper washer behind it - a little blue Locktite is fine, but not required - just don't tighten to over 7 foot of torque - only 6 is required (70 to 85 inch pounds)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil pump seal I'm referring to is the one that keeps the oil from running out the the weep hole.

It's behind the water pump

·
8,896 Posts
Yeah, number 20 in the pic. It CAN changed from the outside but its pretty tricky to do I'm told. I've never actually changed one that way. I was always already inside anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok the seal kit I bought from quad logic has a small seal in the kit I don't see this seal on my machine. ( Old seals are out). Does I need to use this if so where ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I got it all figured out and back together. Seal and cup both came out cup was stuck pretty good

Thanks for all the help.

Scissor lift made the job very easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts