Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I just bought a 1997 Polaris 400 its only 39 degrees Fahrenheit out side I was riding 7 min than the over heating sign lit up not oil so I added more coolant then I ran it today same temp and time it showed gain checked oil tank in front of handle bars it was full its liquid cooled says so on side what could be causing this to happen? and how can I fix it? thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
The overheating indicator light takes its input from a sensor on the cylinder head and I would want to make sure that it is truely not overheating. I just rebuilt my 95 xplorer 4x4 (2 cycle) and though an amature... I learned a few things that I would check...

1.) Bleed the coolant from a screw on the top of the head (its close to where the coolant hose is on the head) to ensure there is no air trapped in the system. Basically, open the screw with the engine off and if coolent does not flow out of it... start the engine and let the water pump push coolant up to that point. Once it flows out, shut it.

2.) Does the fan operate? The fan is electric and should kick on if the sensor in the radiator senses an overheating condition. I tested this sensor by putting it in a pot with water and warming it until it boiled... watching an ohm meter to see if/when the sensor opened.

3.) Water pumps do fail... I replaced the gaskets when I had the engine torn apart. When I first started the engine after rebuild, I made sure coolant was flowing by watching the level/activity in the radiator... there is no thermastat, so coolant is always flowing via the pump.

Just some thoughts... I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, prev owner knew about the problem so he disconnected the temp light sensor wire from the switch on the head.

I found out after I managed to get it running, the spark plug was faulty so i could not get her stared when I purchased it, opened radiator and could not see the coolant circulating.

I tore into the engine and found that water pump casing was missing the bearing the balancer shaft bearings where shot, crankshaft bearings shot, front case bearing on magneto casing fell apart trowing ball bearings into the case, chewed up both gears, snapped water pump shaft on balancer, counterbalancer was no longer spinning due to shreded gears so no oil pump.

Lucky for me cylinder and piston was not damaged even with all these issues.

Just waiting on parts to do a complete rebuild.

At least I managed to get it cheap as he could not get it started.

I hope yours is not as bad as mine was.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Had the same issue with mine as well. I ran wires from the battery directly to the fan and it did not kick on. Ordered a brand new fan motor off of ebay for $80 and everything is OK now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts