Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting off this atv has not been ran for about a year. Went to try and electric start and just had the sound of a week battery, tried charging...battery would not take a charge. tried jumping....would not jump. So decided to replace battery. Bought a new battery and put it in the same way I had the previous one in and didnt even pay attention to the positive and negative which I hooked up incorrectly this time. Anyways get it all hooked up incorrectly and not even still knowing turn the key on and lights go on and everything seems fine. Then go to start it and it sounded wrong...I figured maybe the starter went out so then I just went ahead and pull started it and went on my way for now. Everything seemed to be working just fine. About a mile later after riding through my property the ATV kills and there is no power with key, no lights nothing. I was going hunting so I got off and walked the rest. Come back and still no lights when key goes on. So I pullstart and ride back in, never died on me again but then lights begin to work with charging system on ATV I'm assuming. I noticed when I got to house that I hooked it up incorrectly. I hooked battery up correctly and still nothing is working. When ATV is off I have absolutely no power anywhere. I'm thinking a main fuse or something was blown. My mechanical experience is minimum and this thing is old and not prestine condition. Any pointers on where to look for a fuse or what it could be.

Please and Thank You!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Your new battery is likely damaged due to being "charged" backwards. It's possible that other electrical components have been damaged as well due to the reverse polarity.

Have you tried removing the battery and putting a charge on it with a standalone battery charger hooked up correctly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never tried charging the battery incorrectly however when I found out it was hooked up wrong I switched the positives and negative cables to the correct position and tried...nothing worked. I put it on a charger and it wasn't taking a charge. I'm going to probably just try and replace the battery at farm and fleet since it has a 90 day warranty and try it hooked up correctly. That way the battery is out of the question. I'll check the battery with a multimeter to see what its saying tonight.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I never tried charging the battery incorrectly
When you ran the quad with the battery connected backwards, it was essentially being charged backwards.

Definitely swap the battery if you can. Even if you get it to charge with a regular charger, it's life will most likely be much shorter than it would otherwise have been if it hadn't been hooked up backwards.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, got a new battery and hooked it up. Fired right up. Got hit pretty well with snow this weekend so went out plowing the driveway with it 3 times throughout the weekend. First 2 times were flawless. Then last night, was good for first 10 minutes then the battery was getting low I used the winch to raise and lower the plow and all of a sudden my lights start fading and essentially my battery was draining. I dont remember this ever being a problem so I drive back towards the house and turn the ATV off and go to start it up and just the click of a starter with a dead battery. I hooked it up to a charger and 5 minutes later it fires back up. But again, the lights go dim right away when I attempt to use the winch. I'm guessing I may have fried my charging system?? can I just put a multimeter on my battery and fire it up and the volts should slowly go up if its working?

·
Registered
334 Posts
If the charging system is working correctly, you should see a little over 14V while the quad is running. On some machines, the engine will have to be at higher RPM's before the charge circuit will be effective. So, if you put your meter on the battery pos and neg terminals, rev the engine a little bit, and you should see constant 14V - 14.5V. It shouldn't vary too much from that until the engine goes back to idle.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of your quad, but you may have damaged the voltage regulator when the battery was hooked up backward. Check for blown fuses too if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Probably damaged the charging system. Lucky it didn't fry left hand controls, usually does.

So Many folks install batts backwards and/or flip the extra red/black wires around - slow down people -double check, unbelievable! Luck with other stuff. :cowboy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts