Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice I have replaced the stator, to have its ground burnout again. I have also replaced the battery and voltage regulator. I am at a loss. Anyone deal with this before?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Stators are not grounded so the ground cannot burn out - stators can burnout and short to ground rendering them useless. Burning out infers the wire of the windings overheated and burned the enamel insulation off of the copper wire.

Stators are not known for 'burning out' - most stators fail due to vibration and stress breaking the insulation of the windings. The breaking of the insulation results in the windings shorting together or to ground. Windings shorting together results in lower output and shorting to ground results in zero output or AC voltage getting to the battery by going through ground. A stator that actually burns out is usually caused by the diodes in the rectifier shorting out and discharging the battery through the alternator. If the rec/reg fails, it can in turn burn out the stator.

Rec/reg units typically burn out from overloading - the overload may be caused by a battery too large for the design of the charging system or electrical accessories drawing current is excess of the rec/reg's rating.

Multiple failed stators can usually be attributed to poor design, defects in manufacturing or damage either prior to or during installation.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
You have a serious issue like the battery is installed backwards or the rec/reg is shorted out or the ignition coil is wired to battery voltage - something is not right in Denmark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts