Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New to the forums here. Bought a quad for the wifey and want to get her up and running soon.

Having some issues with the brake system on my 1998 Polaris 400 Sport. I have bled the system time and again to no avail. I have installed a new rear brake caliper as well as brand new brake lines. The four-way bock seems to be in great shape, so I'm down to working on the master cylinder. I have installed a brand new rebuild kit and am still having problems.

When I bought the machine the brakes were under a lot of pressure. I couldn't move the brake lever at all unless I bled some fluid off the front calipers. Then, slowly, the brakes faded to nothing and here I am. I cannot get even a hint of pressure in the system, the brakes are non-existent. I have tried the mity-vac also to no avail. Can't seem to get any fluid out of the reservoir.

Took a few pics and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Here are a few questions:

1.) If i remove the brake line that leaves the master cylinder and inserts into the top of the four-way block and then squeeze the brake lever, shouldn't I see some fluid squirt out of the master cylinder?

2.) If I were to tie the brake lever back and crack open all the bleeder valves (or brake lines) shouldn't fluid escape the reservoir via gravity?

3.) In the first picture I have placed two circles on the top of the master cylinder where the reservoir attaches. The circle labeled "1." (orange) is a through and through hole into the cylinder where the piston is. The second circle labeled "2." (red) does not go through to the cylinder. It's almost as if the drill broke in the process of evacuating this hole. Should this hole go through to the cylinder?

4.) In the second image, have I installed the seals in the right orientation? With the cups facing the master cylinder exit hole?

Thank you all in advance for any input you may have.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have this exact problem with mine. When I went to the dealer they said that they couldn't supply me with a "rebuild kit" because they never had any luck getting them to function properly. They recommended I find a master cylinder off of a newer model and bolt it on. Currently in search...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts