Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, appreciate some help!
I just pulled my family's old ATV out of 2 years of sitting in a shed. I want to fix it up and get it running again, but this is my first experience with small engines. I've gotten part way through and I'm learning as I go, but I'm bound to have even more questions as I stumble my way through this.

Picture album so far.

3/25/2016 So far I've gotten a few things done:

• Got the side panels pulled off.

• I got the carburetor pulled off and will be cleaning it tomorrow.

• Got the spark plug pulled and a new one bought. Installing it tomorrow.

• Got the fuel tank pulled off and drained, and cleaned a bunch of black gunk off it. I'll be flushing the inside and petcock tomorrow. (Also broke a fuel line in the process) I have a new fuel filter to put on but that has to wait until I can run the pump to purge the pump and line.

• Tomorrow I'm going to put it up on ramps to get to a rusted bolt holding the front rack on, and then taking the front plastics off. Gonna try to figure out what's wrong with the speedometer.

• Once I get it running again, I need to change the engine oil, transmission oil, and probably coolant.

• Once I get it running I need to jack it up and tighten the drive chain if needed and then lube it up. I'm curious about removing it and de-rusting it, but I've no idea how to.

• The airbox has a black stand thing that the filter fits onto. It broke a long time ago, so I need to ether super glue it or replace it (Part num 34, it's $30+)

• I want to clean a bunch of the black gunk off of the engine, I've heard WD-40 can do a pretty good job, or that Green cleaner. I want to clean it up and spray some of this on it to make it look nicer.

• I also want to clean the plastics and then put this on it to make them shine a bit more.

• Going to order this so the machine lasts longer.

• I also need to paint over the VIN numbers in white to help read them better. They're so worn off that some are hard to make out.
Honestly if I can get it running in good condition, I may sell it and buy a bike, or a down payment for a car. Dunno about that yet though, it would be fun to ride around.

3/26/2016 NEW UPDATE

I got the spark plug replaced.

I ran into a little trouble cleaning the carb. The bowl screws had to get unscrewed with vice grips, otherwise they were going to strip. Both the main and small jet wouldn't budge ether. I sprayed cleaner through them and then compressed air, switching between the two for awhile and cleaning the rest of the carb until the air went all the way through.

Flushed the fuel lines/pump and then once we got new fuel in we hooked the fuel line up to the carb, it wouldn't start at first until I figured out I had to put the airbox/filter in and create a stronger vacuum. Once I did that it fired up!

It had some problems idling and coming back down from idling; hopefully that'll work itself out once I get it fixed up a little more.

Got the rear fairing off, now the quad is completely naked!

I need to replace a lot of bolts/nuts. Nobody took care of this thing and a lot of them are super rusted.

Next will be actually cleaning the bike itself up more, and reconnecting the fuel tank and such. The bike needs a hardcore nitty-gritty scrubbing, I don't think it's ever been cleaned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why I can't edit the original post. But I got the air filter fixed with some super glue. I'm not sure how strong of a vacuum it creates, so I don't know how well it will hold up, but I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You should 2 part epoxy that part. You don't want it breaking into pieces and going into your intake. Good project, I'd keep it when done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts