Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am having troubles with my 1998 Polaris Trail Boss. So when I'm cruising down the road at half throttle it runs great, and then you go to accelerate past half throttle and it just wants to die. Just like someone turned it off. But then you let off the gas below half throttle and it runs great. I have no clue whats going on I've tried adjusting the carb but that hasn't seemed to phase a thing. And another problem is when it is at idle it kinda misses. but then you lightly touch the gas and its fine. or if you press the yellow override button it also goes away. If anyone has had this happen or knows what it is I could use some help. Or if anyone lives in or near Lincoln, Nebraska and would be willing to take a look at it let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am new member to this forum. I had the same problem with my 1986 Polaris Trail Boss 250cc 2x4. I tried a new carb kit, a spark plug, plug wire and plug cap. Nothing helped. About a year ago my wife suggested that the muffler was plugged and wasn't allowing the exhaust through like it should, I made the mistake of shrugging her off until I had a buddy come over and play with it for an hour and guess what he said, that's right, 'I think your exhaust is plugged.' On the bottom of the muffler is a drain plug, I used a 3/4 inch wrench to take it out and took the atv for a test drive, WOW. What an improvement in performance. That's my story. I was going to by a new muffler for it until I found out how much the dealer wanted for one, $534.00 Canadian dollars. Maybe you can get one cheaper where you live. I just cut mine open with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder and using a wire feed welder, I welded the baffle back in place. Then squezzed the exterior muffler skin back into place and welded that. That solved the problem, the atv has never run so well. The loose baffle was being pushed back and cutting off the exhaust from getting out of the tail pipe. And yes, my wife was gracious about it but periodically gives me a hard time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts