Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new battery installed and it’s just not charging it. I just purchased this atv a few weeks ago and the battery was dead and now with it running I put a voltage meter on it and it’s not charging. It’s staying at the same 12.5 volts with it on or off. Any ideas if it only charges at a certain rpm or something or should it charge all the time and there’s other issues?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question so the reason I’m worried about the battery is really due to having an aftermarket fan that has a on/off switch. The original fan was taken off and replaced with the aftermarket one by the previous owner. Does it need to have the fan on all the time or only when being ridden hard?

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
The fan is only needed when the coolant temp goes above about 195 degrees F - less like needed when ridden hard than when just putting around - my CRF does not need a fan because I don't go slow enough for the air flow through the radiators to be insufficient to cool the coolant adequately, but the CRF does not have a thermostat to maintain a constant temp - it runs cooler at some times than other times.

Regardless of the fan brand or current draw, it would be better to controlled by a thermo switch, but a manual switch will do it too - with a manual switch it will either be too cool or too hot most of the time, but if on too much at low RPM it may drain the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fan is only needed when the coolant temp goes above about 195 degrees F - less like needed when ridden hard than when just putting around - my CRF does not need a fan because I don't go slow enough for the air flow through the radiators to be insufficient to cool the coolant adequately, but the CRF does not have a thermostat to maintain a constant temp - it runs cooler at some times than other times.

Regardless of the fan brand or current draw, it would be better to controlled by a thermo switch, but a manual switch will do it too - with a manual switch it will either be too cool or too hot most of the time, but if on too much at low RPM it may drain the battery.
That makes sense. I agree with a thermostat being a better way to control it coming on/off but right now it’s got an aftermarket fan wired to a on/off switch. Most of my riding will be putting around slower so it may not be such a big deal if I don’t have it on all the time then since I won’t be riding it super hard.

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
You will need the fan more when putting - put the battery on 750 milliamp battery tender when not being ridden to maintain a full charge on the battery to maximize battery life.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I’d definitely want that controlled by thermostat. That will be a PIA having to control that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will need the fan more when putting - put the battery on 750 milliamp battery tender when not being ridden to maintain a full charge on the battery to maximize battery life.
Actually that makes sense as less airflow coming into the radiator. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts