Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new here not sure where to post but i have a 98 xplorer 400 4x4 and my battery was bad it took out my headlights so i bought a new battery now i dont have power outta my quad to the starter but if i pull start it after its running i can hit the starter switch and hear it try to engage also my dash lights like neutral indicator dont work with the key on but once i pull start it and its running the lights work also when its running my new battery does not charge i am getting no power to charge it thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Could check the easy stuff first: Check and clean the ground wires, from battery to engine, engine to frame, clean starter solenoid connections.
Could take the hood off and follow the wires from your start -run switch and clean those. clean the connections from your voltage regulator-rectifier , it's up front by the radiator.
As the starters are underneath, they are prone to getting full of gunk, it may just need removed ,taken apart and cleaned but sometimes they are so full of dirt and rust, there's no saving them , so you may need a new one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would the rectifier have anything to do with it im getting 12 volts to the lights but the other 2 wires have less than 10 coming out. the starter not working unless its started puzzles me and the indicator lights only light up when its running everything worked fine till my battery went to hell

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Voltage regulator/rectifier is probably bad. Usually when they fail the will spike voltage and take lights out then go to low or no output. The AWD light may be burnt out too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya i ordered a selonoid and rectifier figure its a start i checked the 2 breakers in the bag i found i only found 2 not sure if there is more the starter getting power after it is started has me puzzled so figured maybe seloniod is worth a shot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also no power to the neutral light unless its running then it works but with just turning the switch on it dont work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts