Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charging issue? Stator failed.Replaced. Reassembled.Checked, seemed to be charging fine. Revved up a to about 4000 rpm saw volt meter hit 17 volts(approx) Yellow/Red(the one from the voltage reg)wire got so hot it melted the plastic that surrounds the connector.Manual gets very sketchy about checking the regulator. Now when revving up I can get only about 13 volts at the battery. Probably not enough? I would think I need about 13.8 volts at battery? Like a car? I'm thinking regulator now? Anybody have any experience with this? One thing after another with this machine?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Make sure all your connections are good and check to make sure you have good grounds,motor to frame,up by the top motor mount i think. Also check that your battery is in good shape, a dead cell will cause a runaway charge like that and might toast the regulator.recheck charge coils too

·
Registered
211 Posts
had this happen a few times,replace the regulator than replace the wire connector red wire,harness side red wire connector voltage regulator connector.than retest voltage running you should read 14.6 volts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got my new regulator. Installed.Rechecked. Still 17 volts, at new battery. Added external ground wire to reg no change. Stator is doing its job. Confused now? Help!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts