Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 98 500 Sportsman a day ago and I took it out and can't get the front wheels to pull. The axle shafts spin to the hubs, there is resistance in the coils (reading taken at the rats nest under the hood-like cover). It also draws about .34 amps when jumpered with a known hot source. When jumpered the front wheels still spin freely.

What can I do to figure out what's not working as the coils must be working or they would not be drawing power. The PO swears it worked for him everytime he used it but i was unable to test it when purchased as i could only drive it in his yard.

I also found the brown wire from the 4x4 switch to be disconnected under the hood and need to know where that gets plugged into. The gray wire goes to the point where 2 of the hub wires connect. Both places the hub wires go are constantly grounded. There are three wires that come out of the harness in the hood area, only the gray one is hooked up.

What's my next step?

Thanks very much and I hope I was able to explain this in a less than confusing way.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:biggthumpup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the magnet in the hubs are working well. I am totally stumped as to why this won't engage. The clutch seems to be in good condition and it smoothly rotates around the splined section by hand. It gets harder to spin when the mangnet is engaged but still doesn't do the job when the hub is placed back on.

How do these hubs actually lock up and what can go wrong with them? The spring looks to be in good condition yet.

thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this problem with my 02 500 a couple weeks ago. The oil in the front hubs may too low or it could be dirty. Therefore not allowing the 4x4 to engage.

There is an allen head plug on your hubs, take that out, roll the the hub around so it drains and inspect the fluid. You may want to take the hub apart and inspect the bearing while your at it. It is pretty simple. If you have ever had a trailer hub apart you can do this no prob.

When you put it back together make sure you do not tighten the castle nut that holds everything together to tight or you 4x4 will not work (don't ask me how I know). I ended up going a little bit past finger tight while spinning the hub (this is to insure the bearing isn't hung up or crooked).

When you fill your hub back up with oil make sure you use Polaris demand drive plus. I believe others have used ATF but I would check on here for sure. To fill turn the drain hole to the 2 o'clock position (it doesn't take much fluid, maybe half a cup), then turn down to the 4 o'clock position. Let the oil run out until it quits. Your hub is now full.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

wreckmaster

·
Registered
409 Posts
I also found the brown wire from the 4x4 switch to be disconnected under the hood and need to know where that gets plugged into. The gray wire goes to the point where 2 of the hub wires connect. Both places the hub wires go are constantly grounded. There are three wires that come out of the harness in the hood area, only the gray one is hooked up.
I have a `98 scrambler, and the wires you speak of sound familiar.
I'll take a look later today to see for sure. When you talk about under the hood, the connections of wires go to what sorta looks like a circuit board with tabs for the connections. Maybe I'll try to get a close-up pic for you also.

I had to replace the front left cv joint on it with disconnection some
wires to do the job (according to the service manual).

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a `98 scrambler, and the wires you speak of sound familiar.
I'll take a look later today to see for sure. When you talk about under the hood, the connections of wires go to what sorta looks like a circuit board with tabs for the connections. Maybe I'll try to get a close-up pic for you also.
I got a pic of where the Brown wire goes on the `98 Scrambler from the AWD switch. it looks like a ground. Sorry, I only remembered the brown wire concern, there is a white/red I believe along with the grey.

Let me know if this is helping at all before I take more pics being that I'm getting info from a different model.

First pic is of the switch from the scram, maybe yours looks the same.

Edit: Chances are if the wires aren't connected correctly, that would be a good sign why the hubs aren't engaging.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics. My machine must be either different or someone rewired it as the brown wire needed to be Positive to get the 4x4 working. I did end up getting everything figured out, took it for a test drive, and a worn brake pad wedged itself against the front rotor locking the wheel...so much for a long ride. New pads are on their way and everything seems to be working just great.

Thanks for all the info and help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts