Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Here is my problem. I bought this machine a year ago. It was a basket case. Leaking fluids, bad clutch, tore plastic, no maintenance, etc. I went through it and got it running and looking decent. It starts great, runs great around the yard (1/4-1/2 throttle) the problem is when I take it out on the road and open it up. After 3-4 seconds of wot the engine will bog down and almost come to a stop before it recovers after I feather the throttle to revive it. The only time it does this is at full throttle or under a heavy load such as pulling a hill with passenger when the throttle is full. Its to the point sometimes you don't know if it will recover and may send you walking. I have had the tank off and cleaned, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, cleaned the carb and jets, new plug. It acts like its not getting enough fuel. Machine does have the pulse type fuel pump and I was wondering if there is a way to check it or if Im missing something else? Any thoughts or help appreciated. Thanks,Travis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. Checked both jets and they are correct according to cheapcycleparts. Found the ring on the diaphragm assembly was placed in the wrong spot. Air filter had a crack in the boot, replaced it with used one from a donor bike until new one can be had. Overall top end is much better (50mph). Only real issue is now if you punch the throttle from dead stop, bike wants to hesitate. If you ease into it ,no problems. Put in some seafoam and will go from there. Thanks,Travis

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Cracked carb boot will certainly lean it out and the ring being off will let air by and not lift the slide properly. Try turning the mixture screw out 1/4-1/2 turn and see if it helps the throttle response. They are usually set right on the lean edge from the factory.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cracked carb boot will certainly lean it out and the ring being off will let air by and not lift the slide properly. Try turning the mixture screw out 1/4-1/2 turn and see if it helps the throttle response. They are usually set right on the lean edge from the factory.
I agree X2. A lot of times a diaphram looks good but ain't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will adjust screw. Question is where is it? The only adjustment I see is a vertical screw coming out of the bottom of carb with "knob" like grip under spring tension. Thanks,Travis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts