Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive gotten a screaming on this thing and while its posed some real challenges lately I did the only smart thing I could think of. I took all the plastic off and the fuel tank. Wow I gotta say much easier to work on!!! With that being said I found various issues that were causing problems but I couldn't find them cause I couldn't see'em. One major issue is the intake manifold was ready to fall off, the left bolt was gone and the right one was half out. The right side bolt was cross threaded from the factory so that was chased with a drill bit and Heli-coiled. The engine still has 110lbs compression so ive made it my duty to build this into a beast. I do have a couple questions though. This isn't going to be used for mudding but I wont say it isn't going to find the hole from time to time. Has anyone used a good cross bread tire maybe mud and trail also are all aftermarket wheels for Polaris going to fit this year or do I have to buy spacers and adapters for certain models. Has anyone had any experience with certain clutch kits I have to put a clutch cover on this thing and its not coming off and going back on with out one.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I can't say much for the tires and wheels as I haven't done much with swapping them around, but do know that with about any aftermarket wheel you will need spacers. Clutch kits however, I can help you with. Once you figure out the tires and size you are going to run along with all the other mods and can give me the elevation you ride at and what you intend to do with it I can get you a QSC kit to fit your needs easily.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
MudLites seem to be popular for trails and a little mud.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Zilla's also seem to do well on the trail and in the mud.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ordered my clutch kit the other day clutch tool K&N had the exhaust powder coated and still trying to figure out the muffler situation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I recommend Duro Red Eagle tires. These are the exact same as the Goodyear Tracker P tires that your 1998 Sportsman came with. I am running them now and I do mostly trail with mud here and there, never been stuck. They are a comfy ride.

·
Registered
455 Posts
look at STI Black diamonds for tires. great all purpose tire

·
11,155 Posts
I just put on a set of Tusk Trilobites from Rocky Mountain ATV for a customer and I must say I'm very impressed with them. They are a 6 ply bias knock off of Big Horns for way less $$. Oh yeah, I ordered them at 3pm Tuesday and they where delivered at 1pm Wednesday...less than 24 hrs!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
look at STI Black diamonds for tires. great all purpose tire
X2 on these. I have three sets. They are good all around, aggressive in the mud and they are radials so they ride smooth at higher speeds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks everyone I am going to look into all the tire recommendations and what fits the wallet and use best for me. I took all the plastic off and found so many issues. I cant wait to clutch it!!! I have put nice flowing silencer on it and took it for quick rip and it instantly wanted to pull the fronts but stumbles a bit in the mid so I think a jet kit will be in order for sure!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I started my clutch kit install I couldn't finish cuz my buttons are pretty wasted. So it looks like a trip to dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts