Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for any help I can get.

I have new battery. The lights work. The starter does not work. I'm getting no spark. I know this because I put my spark plug up to the engine, while still connected to the wire and tried to pull start it. No spark.

From what I read in some of the posts so far is that it can be one of the following things:

1. Bad Iginition switch.
2. Bad solenoid switch.
3. Bad CDI box.

How do I go about determining which one is the problem?

I'm willing to follow any instructions you can give me in checking these things out. I have ordered a book from HAYNES. It's not here yet and I would like to proceed with the trouble shooting.

Someone please assist me.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
you did clean the connections at the starter solenoid,didn't you??they get all rusty and corroded from all the mud and gunk. it is in nuetral?? and the green light is on?? with the key on and using the starter switch on the handlebar does the solenoid click?? it should be fairly loud with a fresh battery. if the solenoid does click, follow the positive cable down to the starter (you'll need a voltmeter) and hook up the voltmeter to the starter lead and push the start button to see if you are getting any juice (it should be at least 12 volts) you will have to take the skid plate off and the recoil-pull start off to remove the bolts to get the starter off. www.psep.biz was about the cheapest place i found for a starter and starter drive $94.85
you never did say if these things(starter and ignition) quit working all of a sudden or if you bought it this way or what. check connections at coil first,check coil wire with an ohmmeter just to check continuity(not while pull starting it though,you'll burn up your ohmeter)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two months ago a guy was selling it on craig's list for $1200 and it was running great. The bike really is in good condition. I think from talking with him the past few months he was really frustrated with the whole thing and didn't want to fool with it any more. He kept it outside without any cover form months. I talked him down to $370 knowing it was getting no spark.

The very first thing I did was bought the battery (charged to 12V). All of the lights work. Ignition switch was set to run. Put the shift in nuetral. Set the parking brake. Turned the key on. Green light is on. Pressed the start switch and nothing. Not even a click. Which I knew when I bought it that it needed a starter.

I will check the following things that you suggested:

1. Check connections at coil first.
2. Clean the connections at the starter solenoid.
3. Check the positive cable to the starter lead to see if I'm getting any juice.

I'll check these things out this weekend and I'll get back to you what I find.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
try to get it running first before you fix the starter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
unhook black wire from cdi prolly mounted to the top of the oil tank this will rule out kill switch problem
blk wire gets ground to kill the spark so if you unhook it and get spark you have a short , bab ign swich ,or bad left handle bar switch this is the best place to start

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kankawi, mine didn't want to start but after I disconnect the black wire from the CDI as you told 1999TRAILBLAZER. I cleaned the kill switch but still nothing, do you know where I can get a picture of how the inside of the kill switch should look like. It looks like a small circuit board and on mine it looked like some of the metal pieces were worn out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok what you need to do, You can check stator resistance on the Black/Red to Brown/White going into the cdi module should be 120 ohms. You will need a multimeter to do this if you are getting 120 ohms your stator is good. Next if the stator is good take the spark plug cap off and test the ohms in the wire with the wire still connected to coil (ground the black to the frame and stick red into the wire) you should have 6.3 ohms or real close to it. mine is reading 6.1 ohms. if that is good try testing JUST the spark plug cap it should read between 3.7 and 6.3 ohms. also I do not know if the 1999 have it but over the throttle should be a plastic box take the cap off (should just pop off) inside should be two wires and just pull one of those wires or cut it and see if you have spark (it is a useless sensor that does absolutly nothing but cause frustration you would probably be better off to just do that anyways) and iff all of that is good your cdi box is probably bad .If any of those do not read what I stated replace them before you do anything else. try to start it with pull rope do not worry about starter it will not cause loss of spark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Simliar problem

What was the end result? I have a '99 trailblazer 250 that won't fire but turns and went from no spark to intermittent spark, no start with starting fluid. I am reading 1.3 ohms and 1.6 ohms on two different ignition coils from the live lead to the ground but they both don't have a reading from the ground to the boot. I have unplugged the cdi kill switch. Where should I go next without just buying a new cdi? Is there fuses anywhere?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts