Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello new to the site hope u can help have a 1999 500 sportsman.was just letting it run yesterday .i have not used it in a few weeks .was working on something else when i looked uo and it was running hot ..no fan..so turned off the key and wqas going o ck it out today...went to ck out fan but i have no lights or power at the speedo and starter will not engage ckeched the key switch it is fine power at wire off and when key is turned on have power thru switch..no power elseware battery and ground seems good .my question is there anything that could have gotten hot modules or pcm's had trouble with kill switch in the past as soon as i can figure out how to get it apart am going to ck it ..it seems to b clicking into place ..would apprecate some help please...kenny

·
Registered
258 Posts
there is a circuit brkr near the battery right by the starter solenoid? its like 6" in front of the battery, check it for power the brker is sealed in a lil black plastic bag... will it start with the recoil starter?? to loose your fan and lights like that I really think that key switch is on the fritz... I know u said u checked it but they can be finicky..sometimes u just touch them the wrong way... and u loose power to half your circuits... touch it again and its back..theres no real modules or pcm I can think of in those old bikes. wiggle that switch a bit. see what hpns

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

after re-cking key ff on switch went to off run off and start switch the wiring diagram shows that a red w black stripe should be hot going into switch with key on and red with white stripe hot with switch in run position well it is not I got a jumper wire and aplyed it to the red white stripe wire thyen the neutral lite came on..but still does not start with start button I am leaning tward that swith being bad.at this point..i am now wandering if the switch went bad and that is why the fan quit working going to get a 3rd hand over hear and jumper wire that wire again and check the rest of curuit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts