Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 diesel with less than 400 miles on it. It ran perfectly when I bought it last fall.... had it garaged all winter. I took it to the local Polaris dealer last week for servicing. New batteries, oil and filter, etc... $700 bill. The mechanic claimed both the rpm limiter module and the anti-reverse modules were bad.. so they were both replaced.
Now it will not start unless ambient temperature is at least 75 degrees. This morning, it was around 50. I plugged in the head heater for an hour... still no start.
I have drained and refilled the fuel tank twice.. just to make certain it has fresh fuel. I also added a shot of Power Service cetane booster. Still no joy.
She goes back to the dealer today.
Any ideas or suggestions????

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No help from polaris dealer

I stopped in at the Polaris shop to check on the status if my non-functioning 455 diesel. They beat their gums a bit, then admitted they had not even looked at it yet.

If thats the best Polaris can do, maybe its time to trade it off on an Arctic Cat diesel.

Bummer.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Do you have the supposedly bad modules?

Air leaks in the low pressure feed and high pressure injector line will cause hard start no start condition.

From orbit on my Android.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I stopped in at the Polaris shop to check on the status if my non-functioning 455 diesel. They beat their gums a bit, then admitted they had not even looked at it yet.

If thats the best Polaris can do, maybe its time to trade it off on an Arctic Cat diesel.

Bummer.
My suggestion is to trade it on something that isn't 15 years old, and don't knock Polaris for what some dealer did . If you think a Cat is better go buy one of them that is as old as the Polaris, and see how it runs. You buy a 15 year old diesel machine and then on your 2nd post come in here complaining about Polaris. You get what you pay for

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The diagnosis

It took a number of weeks and many calls between the factory and the local shop. The diagnosis being low compression with a 60% compression leak-down... meaning a new top end.

No great news, but considering the unit has less than 400 miles on it, I'm inclined to have it rebuilt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts