Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 sportsmans 500 that runs and starts fine in warm weather but when its cold will not start at all with the electric start. The only way I can get it started is with by pull starting. It has a new battery and is always on a battery tender. Once started it runs fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on a fix?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Mine did the same thing today. It's parked in my shop which is insulated. Plugged into a tender. But turned over very slow when I hit the key. I didn't push it and it started with the first pull of the rope and a touch of choke. It was fine after that. This was the first time it's done that this winter. But it's also been the coldest so far this winter.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 99 sportsmans 500 that runs and starts fine in warm weather but when its cold will not start at all with the electric start. The only way I can get it started is with by pull starting. It has a new battery and is always on a battery tender. Once started it runs fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on a fix?
You could try checking the valve rocker clearance gap. This is particularly common on machines that age. The gaps widen from wear and when the machine warms up, closes as the metal expands. Not too hard to check, just use two feeler gauges at once on the outer (exhaust?) rockers. I believe they should be .006"

When you put the head back on, be VERY careful that you don't over torque the head bolts.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know if this is true with atv's but on heavy duty trucks with electronic engine controls the ECM must recieve a minimum of 9 volts to fire the injectors. What can happen sometimes in cold weather is the battery can not maintain enough voltage to the ECM while turning over the engine to fire the coil. That would explain why it will start with the pull rope, the starter is not robbing the voltage from the ECM. Have the battery tested and you will probably find you need a new one.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I don't know if this is true with atv's but on heavy duty trucks with electronic engine controls the ECM must recieve a minimum of 9 volts to fire the injectors. What can happen sometimes in cold weather is the battery can not maintain enough voltage to the ECM while turning over the engine to fire the coil. That would explain why it will start with the pull rope, the starter is not robbing the voltage from the ECM. Have the battery tested and you will probably find you need a new one.
Bingo. If you have a bad cell in the battery then even on a tender it wont have enough power when under load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts