Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am relatively new to atv's. I just purchased my wife her first atv. It is a used polaris sport, 1999 model, automatic, 2 stroke. The gentleman that I purchased it from delivered it to my house. I test drove it and it ran great. My wife and I both rode it for about an hour and then turned in for the evening. Fast forward six days and it won't start. The electric start doesn't work and didn't when I purchased it. I knew that going into it. However, the pull start worked great for me when I purchased it six days ago. Now, it seems as if it's not getting any fire. I pulled the spark plug and it looked to be fouled. I cleaned it and checked the gap, reinstalled it and still, no fire. It's not even acting like it wants to turn over. Granted, it has sat for six days but I don't think that is the problem. 6 days is a relatively short amount of time. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but it did sit through 2 pretty bad thunder, rain, and lightening storms. I've tried choking it, cleaning the plug, and thats about it. Any ideas of what I should do next? Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If your plug was indeed fouled, replace it! Cleaning a fouled plug will not help even if it looks great...replace your plug and you should be fine...if not, let us know and we can diagnose further.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
What kinda shape is the battery in??? Could also check if the kill switch is on run. Let us know what's up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered a new NGK plug for it today. Hopefully that will solve the problem. The kill switch was on run. The battery seems to be in fine shape. The lights all work. I would check out the electric start but of course it is messed up. I will be replacing that in the future as well. I will keep you updated tomorrow after I change the plug.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Start with the easy things first.
Did you Physically remove the plug,recoonnect it and set it against the engine block for a ground and pull the rope to see if it was getting a spark? Check connections at the plug cap and coil
You may want to look at the electric throttle control,it's located on the right handlebar, where the throttle cable goes into, just pop the top off and you should see two contacts, these should not be touching and should have an air gap of 1/16"-1/8" ,and adjustment is made thru the throttle cable farther down the cable.
On the left handlebar, follow the wiring from the on-off-crank switch, down under the hood,you're looking for a black wire that goes to box, this is the kill switch wire ,unplug it and see if you have a spark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you Physically remove the plug,recoonnect it and set it against the engine block for a ground and pull the rope to see if it was getting a spark? Check connections at the plug cap and coil
You may want to look at the electric throttle control,it's located on the right handlebar, where the throttle cable goes into, just pop the top off and you should see two contacts, these should not be touching and should have an air gap of 1/16"-1/8" ,and adjustment is made thru the throttle cable farther down the cable.
On the left handlebar, follow the wiring from the on-off-crank switch, down under the hood,you're looking for a black wire that goes to box, this is the kill switch wire ,unplug it and see if you have a spark.
Hi, I will do this first thing after church tomorrow. Hopefully this will help. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I will do this first thing after church tomorrow. Hopefully this will help. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the advice.

Alright guys, I pull the plug out, connected it to the plug wire and grounded it to the engine block. There was a fairly faint blue-ish colored spark. However, everytime I re-install the plug, wire, etc.. It still acts as if its not getting any fire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts