Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sportsman 500 that i can never win with. My speedometer stopped working about 5 months ago and ever since i bought this ATV the 4x4 has ben switching from working and not working, most of the times I've fixed it by cleaning up the terminals in the switch but this time it didn't work. looked around the internet and all other posts about it state that when the speedo stopped working the 4x4 stopped directly. but my 4x4 has ben working "sometimes" I've tried the brown and white grounding trick and that did not work, I've checked the power going to the speedometer and there is power going to it. at this point i don't want to bring it to a mechanic until i'm sure i cant fix it. can anyone help me.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Check and change the fluid in the hubs AFTER you pull it apart and check the operation of the magnets in the hubs. Find out where the plugs are for the hubs (in the headlight pod) and unplug and apply 12v and see what sort of pull there is. I have a 2001 and one of my magnets got weak and it wouldn't hold. If it is working properly you should have a real tough time turning the armature plate with your fingers. Also check the plate for uneven wear and make sure the magnet and plate fit flush with each other.

If magnet and armature plate check out, put in new fluid (synthetic ATF is fine) and try again. If it doesn't work then you have an electrical issue that you will have to chase down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The speedometer can possibly be a easy fix, I assume it is mechanical and not electrical,Undo speedo cable from case and replace little 1 1/4 cable and your speedo will more than likely start working again Now the 4x4 I can't comment on but mine is a 1997 500 sportsman and seems indestructible-Rich

1 - 3 of 3 Posts