Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My crank seized up and I'm pretty sure I need to replace the crank bearings but I'm having trouble removing the clutch assembly. I have a homemade clutch puller which I got the idea from this forum but the assembly will not budge loose its like its stuck on something. I've watched videos and read some threads but no one has mentioned this problem and I really need some help.

·
Registered
615 Posts
When i pulled the clutch off my 96 sportsman, i thought i was going to break something. I used a large pipe over the ratchet for leverage and it eventually came free.
Which method are you using?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I've been using an impact drill, I did switch to a ratchet and pipe but I was afraid I was going to break something. How did you keep it from moving as you broke it free?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Aaron, are you using a bolt to push against the crankshaft? If so, do you have something between the bolt and the crank? I used a 3" 3/8" extension with a shallow 11mm socket in the end. As for holding the clutch, there are two ways you can do it. First, hook a ratchet strap to the right edge of the clutch on the rear tire side as its rotating and hook the other end of the strap to the frame to the left side close to the front tire or put a pry bar down through the clutch on the back tire side and let it press against the frame as you're tightening the bolt. If you go on YouTube and search Polaris clutch removal, you can see a decent example if you find the video labeled Polaris Trailblazer 250 - primary clutch removal. Let us know if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I'm using a bolt to push against it, I didn't have anything between the bolt and the crank but I will try what you said. I appreciate the help I'll give it go tomorrow when I get off work thanks again I'll be sure to let you know my results.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just a heads up that after i used the extension and socket, they won't separate so it would be better to use something you can sacrifice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a really tough time getting mine off, too. I ended up buying the least expensive 120v impact wrench that I could find, and a bit to drive the clutch removal tool. I was able to remove it in five minutes with that. And that was after hours of trying by hand.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The reason I had the stuff was for a 96 Sportsman 400 that the clutch was completely locked up. I used a 1/2" rachet and a 3ft long pipe for leverage. When that clutch let go, it sounded like a gun shot and I really thought something broke! Scared the crap out of me!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts