Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4, I got it a while back and I love it. Recently while riding it I heard something make a knocking sound and then it shut off. I'm fairly certain the crank bearings are the problem and I need to replace them. Only problem is I can't get the primary clutch off to remove the left side bearing. I have a 3/4 16 pitch thread bolt which is similar to the clutch puller sold. I've done exactly as videos and what I've read has described but once the bolt gets all the way in it doesn't pop off like its suppose too. It seems to be stuck good. Any help or idea on what to do I've ran out of ideas.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm unsure from reading your thread but if you are only using a standard 3/4x16 bolt then this will not work unless the bolt has been machined to have an extended shaft on the end. If I've misinterpreted your actual setup please disregard.

I do use a standard 3/4x16 bolt but first I insert a piece of round stock that contacts the end of the crankshaft. The 3/4x16 bolt then contacts the rod which causes the clutch housing to separate from the crankshaft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a piece of all thread rod that I'm using, i got the 3/4" 16 thread pitch I took a grinder and rounded about a quarter of it. It goes in and it just seems like ones it hits the end of the crankshaft it doesn't want to go in and pull like its suppose too. I will trying placing something between the two and see if I get a different result I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just for reference, this is the setup I use on my 94 300 4x4.

Bolt - grade 8 3/4x16 by 4" length. (2" of this is threaded.)
Rod - 5/8 round stock by 3.5" length. (I do have an additional 1.25" length but it has been turned down to 3/8" diameter. This lets the rod slide into the threaded hole in the crankshaft and also keeps the rod centered.) (You could accomplish same by wrapping rod with masking tape or similar.)

Your rod length might be different, I just don't know, but they do seem similar.
This would mean for me I would have to grind off 3.5" of thread from the all-thread for this to work.

I have not had good luck using a wrench. I have had good luck using an impact. Also, if your clutch housing is really stuck then the all-thread may give too much as it is a relatively a soft material.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts