Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the site and first post. Have a few questions about my '99 Scrambler 400 and thought maybe you guys could help. I bought the quad new but haven't hardly rode it for 8. years after my problem developed.
1.) Has very little low end power. Starts very easy (even after sitting all this time) but bogs bad until the motor gets spooled up then it takes off. Doesn't have nearly as much top end power as it had but at least it gets moving (can't get the front wheels off the ground now but when it was new I couldn't hardly keep em down). Carb has been cleaned thoroughly (several times). Checked the compression and its running between 110-115 psi. I read where that is the very bottom end of the range so I thought about putting a new top end in it to start. Any thoughts?

2.) How do I completely drain the cooling system? I have a factory service manual and I can't find it's location in there. I don't want to pull the jug without draining the system completely down and I didn't think just draining the radiator would do.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated since I'm pulling my hair out and I don't have very much to start with.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
721 Posts
Clutch buttons need replaced in secondary clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the advice on the clutches but unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about them. Any advice on that?

·
Registered
721 Posts
The small brown "buttons" in this pic wear out and don't allow the secondary clutch to shift correctly:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts