Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '99 Scrambler used. First time having a 4 wheeler, so I didn't know what to look for as far as wear items. I was told that it had had a lot of work done to it, and it ran great. Long story short, I've rebuilt the carb and the whole front suspension. The chain was loose, so I went to tighten it and found the rear rotor was cutting into the caliper. Further digging found the axle bearings were non-existent (worn out to pieces). Rear housing, caliper, and axle ruined. Bought a used housing, axle, rotor assembly with good bearings, and new caliper so all is good, now I cannot for the life of me get the brakes bled. Fluid is pumped from the front reservoir to the rear reservoir and vice versa. My question is this: Is it common for new calipers to be defective? Should I have bought actual Polaris caliper, or is aftermarket okay? I guess I now need a rebuild kit too?

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Not common for new calipers to be defective, but chances are you cannot buy replacement or rebuild parts for the aftermarket caliper - I prefer to get an OEM caliper and if it used I just buy a rebuild kit for it at he same time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts