Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello,

so I I just recently purchased my 1999 sportsman 500. I been reading that the 4x4 wont work unless the speed gauge is working., Well my speed gauge is working, all lights are working. I also checks all wiring under the front plastic and all wiring is connect with no sign of anyone trying to cut wires, although for some reason the negative wired to the circuit from the hour gauge is disconnect, and the post wire to the hour gage is not connected. I think they did that to stop count of hours on the bike. I lifted the bike up to where all four tires are off the ground. I then started it, and placed it in 4x4 awd with the push button. the back tires spun, although the front tires did nothing. well they spin a little bit but I can grab them and hold them back. the 4x4 drive line spins. im lost guys and need help before I take it into the shop. does the awd only kick in when the back tires slip and that activated the front tires to start spinning? when pushing in the awd button should u hear the awd system engage? do u need to be in neutral to engage the awd or can u also engage on the fly. I also tried getting the bike on a incline with only two wheel drive and getting stuck, I then pushed in the awd button and nothing engages. help please!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 2000. I don't think the guage controls your AWD because mine doesn't work and I got 3 wheel drive. If everything kicks in like you say and tries to turn I would first check to make sure your front hubs have fluid in them. If they are low or out use type F transmission fluid fill the hub full (holds 2-3 ozs.) and turn the hub to the 4 0'clock position to let the excess run out. I hear they are tempermental when low on fluid. If this doens't fix it may have something wrong with the clutches inside the hubs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello,

así que yo recientemente compré mi sportsman 500 de 1999. He estado leyendo que el 4x4 no funcionará a menos que el indicador de velocidad funcione. Bueno, mi indicador de velocidad funciona, todas las luces funcionan. También verifico todo el cableado debajo del plástico frontal y todo el cableado está conectado sin signos de que alguien intente cortar cables, aunque por alguna razón el cable negativo al circuito desde el medidor de horas está desconectado, y el cable posterior al medidor de horas está no conectado. Creo que hicieron eso para detener la cuenta de horas en la bicicleta. Levanté la bicicleta hasta donde los cuatro neumáticos están levantados del suelo. Luego lo comencé y lo coloqué en 4x4 awd con el botón. los neumáticos traseros giraron, aunque los neumáticos delanteros no hicieron nada. bueno, giran un poco pero puedo agarrarlos y retenerlos. la línea de conducción 4x4 gira. Estoy perdido chicos y necesito ayuda antes de llevarlo a la tienda. ¿El AWD solo se activa cuando las llantas traseras resbalan y eso activa las llantas delanteras para comenzar a girar? al presionar el botón awd, ¿debería escuchar que se activa el sistema awd? ¿Necesitas estar en neutral para atacar el AWD o puedes hacerlo también sobre la marcha? También intenté poner la bicicleta en una pendiente con solo dos ruedas motrices y atascarme, luego presioné el botón awd y nada se enganchó. ¡¡ayuda por favor!!
[/CITAR]
4x4, truco eléctrico

·
Registered
167 Posts
There are a bunch of things to check. Somewhere on here is a very comprehensive troubleshooting thread for this exact issue. But first thing is to drain the hubs. If the fluid is thick or non-existent, you’ll need to get a service manual and follow instructions to tear the hubs apart, clean the parts, and check them out according to the manual before re-assembling (according to the manual, be sure to torque them properly) and filling with the correct lubricant properly. If that doesn’t fix it, time to start troubleshooting the electrics of the AWD system. In any case the fluid change should be done on a new-to-you Machine from that era.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I need to start noticing the dates on the OP threads. This is old. I have no idea what the recent post says, but my reply is valid if you have the same problem. You can obviously read English if you replied to this thread, why not reply in English?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts