Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Sportsman 500 that i just bought and i took it out for a ride and about 2 miles down the rd it just dyed like it ran out of gas, it would crank but not start so i let it sit there for about 10 min and it started back up i had plenty of gas in it so i got it back home and shut the gas of and started it back up and let it run till it ran out of gas. I then took off the hose from the fuel pump to the carb and turned the gas valve back on and no gas so i turned the key on thinking that the fuel pump ran off of electricty to pump the gas but still no gas, im going to take the inline fuel filters off to night and see if they are plugged. any help would be greatly apperciated. and what does the fuel pump do exactlly and how does it work i did not see any wires going to it after i got to looking at it closer.

Thanks Jay

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 1999 Sportsman 500 that i just bought and i took it out for a ride and about 2 miles down the rd it just dyed like it ran out of gas, it would crank but not start so i let it sit there for about 10 min and it started back up i had plenty of gas in it so i got it back home and shut the gas of and started it back up and let it run till it ran out of gas. I then took off the hose from the fuel pump to the carb and turned the gas valve back on and no gas so i turned the key on thinking that the fuel pump ran off of electricty to pump the gas but still no gas, im going to take the inline fuel filters off to night and see if they are plugged. any help would be greatly apperciated. and what does the fuel pump do exactlly and how does it work i did not see any wires going to it after i got to looking at it closer.

Thanks Jay
The fuel pump works by vacuum take the line off the carburetor and turn the motor over with the key and see if gas comes out.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:Med:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts