Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello new to fourm and to polaris atvs. well i came across a 1999 sportsman 500 that has been sitting for over 3 years in a shed and i bought got it home cleaned carb and put in new gas. carb all checked out good. now when i start it up it will start and idle fine but when i want to rev it up it only goes to around 1500 and wont rev anymore and kinda shakes its just real boggy it has in both neutral and all drive gears i was just wondering if anyone else has or had this problem im not sure where to start on this any help would greatly help me out
THANKS
ANDREW

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
483 Posts
1.Check the air filter and box for nests.
2.Disassemble and clean carb, there will be a diaphragm under the top of the carb, check it for tears or holes.
It has a rev box that when bad does some funny things. Clip one wire and be done with it. I had to do this with mine.
If these don't help you could be the the next victim of a bad Polaris 500 cam. They are notorious for wiping out the cam lobes. Only being able to idle is one of the indicators of this. If so put a 500HO cam in it. Direct replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts