Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recenty purchased a non running 1999 sportsman 500. Got it running and belt would not disengage. Cleaned all the primary and driven clutch parts. Everything seems to be working great but the tension on the belt is too tight. From what the book says the clutches are correct. It has a non ebs primary, and what appears to be a ebs driven clutch. Is this normal. I pulled the driven clutch apart and everything looks fine. I can put the belt on and spin the driven clutch and the belt gets tight and starts turning the primary. If I start it and put it in gear it will move and if I hold the brake the belt squels. It had a 3211069 so I tried a 3211077 belt with no difference. The alignment looks good just seems like the driven clutch is closing too much on the belt. The problem I have is, according to my manual it says belt tension is non adjustable on the ebs systems, so does this apply to me since only the rear is ebs. Please help trying to go ride this coming weekend and am having no luck. By the way the primary clutch is coming all the way back out so it is not hanging up. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Belt tension would be adjustable in the secondary by adding or subtracting washers inside it to let the belt sit higher or lower in the secondary if you had the non-ebs. The EBS is not adjustable. You're issue is the non-ebs primary. It doesn't have the bearing in it for the belt to sit on and not turn while at idle. Have you tried the non-ebs belt? If that won't work then you will want to swap out to a non-ebs secondary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But from what the book says this is the way this is supposed to be for the 99. Pvt front and e s rear. What would happen if I shimmed it to decrease tension?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also the front pulley where the belt rides is grooved. This should not spin free should it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope so. Thanks again for the help. How much you think they would charge to reassemble the clutch. I screwed it to my workbench with braces and had a makeshift removal tool. Wonder if I took the clutch to them they would do it pretty cheap?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you buy the bearing from them and have them reassemble it shouldn't cost you more than $10-20 for them to do the assembly. Takes a couple minutes. A good dealer or shop wouldn't even charge you for it if you got the bearing from them. Would be good press and groundwork to get you back for more parts and more significant repairs later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts