Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tested stator and it is good. Got a new Voltage Regulator. Bike puts out approx. 13.8 volts out of voltage regulator (red wire) at idle and as soon as I touch the throttle at all the voltage drops to around 5...The rpm's on the bike dont even change...thats how lightly I touch the throttle. Then the voltage bounces around a bit and I usually have to snap the throttle back to get it to idle and get the 13.8 volts.

Can I just twist the wires for the ETC together to bypass this feature? I do all the maintenence on this machine and I am the only rider. But I mostly just want to see if that could be my problem and then most likely replace it.

Also can I run the red wire out of the voltage regulator directly to the pos battery terminal? so I can rule out a short between the VR and the battery?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Man any help here is appreciated!

Should the voltage coming out of the voltage regulator be a constant voltage? This makes since to me but I am getting anywhere from 18 to 6 volts. But then when I hook the voltage regulator (red wire) back up again I see no flucuations. It is reading approx. 12.5 volts running and 12.8 volts off at the battery?

·
Registered
324 Posts
you should be able to bypass the ETC, just understand that you will now be able to do about 45mph in reverse. (not fun or safe)

I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me but I don't recall a connection between the charging circuit and the ETC. You may want to get a wiring diagram first and trace things down before you just ship on the ETC. Personally I would always rather fix it properly.

Lemme see if I have the diagram for your machine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts