Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Wondering if anyone can help?

I was given a 1999 Xplorer 400, that is missing the recoil assembly. I think that is all that is missing, What I see is the exposed flywheel and Starter bendix.

Question is I have found a recoil on ebay from a 2002 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4, wondering if it is the same? Link below.

Polaris Scrambler 400 Recoil Starter Sport 400L Xplorer Trail Blazer Sportsman | eBay

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
First off, Welcome to the forum! According to the Polaris parts fiche and cross reference, it will fit. Go here Browse build your quad. Then locate the part you need, look to the right of the part description and you will see the word "Usage". Click on that and it will show you a list of compatable models that use the same part. Buddy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for that info! Have ordered the part.

From the picture below does it look like I'm missing anything else? Also the flywheel looks quite rusty, will that be a problem? If water was inside the recoil housing would that have caused problems with the stator?

I also need to remove the starter, will probably get a new starter and bendix.

Thanks again for the help.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like everything is there. The rust is not an issue and is pretty typical of someone who did not make sure that the recoil handle was back completely on its post before they took it underwater. LOL
If you have the means pull the flywheel, then pull the bendex. Clean both. You can then clean all the old crust out of the case. Lube your bendex. Use a wire wheel on a drill or one mounted to a grinder. Make sure everything is nice and pretty then reassemble. Before you put the pull starter back on. Take the time to clean and lube it. Check the rope for freying and proper action. Then install it. I also use a light coat of blue RTV when putting them back together.

Good Luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts