Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nancy, western Maryland, grew up on dirt bikes. Never rode an atv. Just bought some land. Great excuse to buy a new toy. Got a 2006 Polaris Sawtooth 200. Big enough for me, small enough the grand kids can ride soon. Would the Sawtooth fall under the Phoenix category? I know they are very similar.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Welcome.

We got our first ATV this year and the second one too. They are the 2000-2002 era 325 Magnums. Forty years ago has an SL-90 Honda dirt bike and it seemed so powerful at the time but I weighed a lot less then. :)

I do not know your ATV. Is it a two or four stoke engine?

·
Registered
526 Posts
We found the detailed Polaris shop manual (paper) on eBay for a great price that has been awesome in enabling us to rebuild both 325's over the last few days with new rings and rod bearings. Both of the 2000-2002 era motors valves are still sealing well and parts were still in spec on measuring them which I did not expect would be the case for the pistons and cylinders especially. I had picked up another head, cylinder, piston and connecting rod (all used of of eBay) and they were all in spec too. We only needed to use the connecting rod for the engine with the spun bearing.

Polaris makes one tough ATV from what we can see from going deep into our two 325's.

Best wishes with yours.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Nancy, western Maryland, grew up on dirt bikes. Never rode an atv. Just bought some land. Great excuse to buy a new toy. Got a 2006 Polaris Sawtooth 200. Big enough for me, small enough the grand kids can ride soon. Would the Sawtooth fall under the Phoenix category? I know they are very similar.
Same engine, trans, etc. The difference being that the Sawtooth is setup as more of a Utility ATV where as the Pheonix is setup as more of a sport quad (no racks, different tires, etc.) The Sawtooth is the better machine IMO. Those little 200 motors are very durable from my experiences. Welcome to the Board !!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New ATV owner and new to this site

I purchased a 2010 pink Phoenix for my wife two weeks ago. She loves it and has been riding it a lot. Last Friday a thunderstorm came through and soaked it. Later that day she drove it to the garden, about 200 feet, parked it and worked in the garden for an hour. When she started back to the house it started fine, went about 20 feet and died and would not crank with the starter switch. I checked the fuse under the seat and it was ok so I cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends, put it back together. The Phoenix started and ran fine until yesterday. The same story, thunderstorm, short ride to the garden, died on the drive back to the house and will not crank with the starter. Headlight and tail light are bright, fuse is OK, all electrical connections tight, but this time it did not start after I finished moving and wiggling everything. Can anyone give me an idea of where the problem might be before I start dismantling everything.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Had a phoenix years ago that had a similar problem. Under the seat, above the battery, there is a group of wires connecting together with a plastic connector. Just push that connector together and see if that helps. Mine seemed to come loose frequently. Wrapped the connection with electrical tape and seem to correct the intermittent starting issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts