Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Mike im from buffalo NY ....... just purchased a 2013 500ho..im looking for some information and looking to answer some questions if i can assist anyone on the forum!!!! .... this is my 1st polaris machine.... i used to have only arctic cats......

1) is there a hid kit that offers LOWER draw than eom lights? (2500K amber)
ive been searching to find them and cant seem to find them....

2) i need a new battery..... something preferably that requires minimal matinence, fits in stock location without alterations, and doesnt need to be on a tender all the time because i dont have power in my shed where atv is stored and have a really hard time taking the battery in and out with the location of the bolt/posts........ any info would be amazing!!!!!!! (ps i do alot of snow plowing with this 2500# warn winch...so it draws alot of power)

THANKS ALOT AND HOPEFULLY I CAN ASSIST OTHERS IN QUESTIONS AS WELL!!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
there are HID plug and play kits mine has two big ballasts for low and one small one for in pod if you google it you should find something i think mine was 120$ and i found a great alternative battery from napa that fits right in i never put a tender on it my quad sits outside in -30 temps and fires right up up to -35c ill get the number off it when i get home and post it ...its a napa severe duty powersport ill get the number for you tho

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'd suggest running an extension cord to your shed. Better safe than sorry, especially if you've got snow to move.

·
Registered
434 Posts
yes i use mine alot for plowing and heavy winching and with this new battery i havent got it to "low batt" yet i noticed with then popo one it would come on from brand new if your stuck for any amount of time

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That winch is going to draw that battery down every time no matter what battery you have. you could always pull the machine up next to the house and charge the battery before you put it in the shed. Or take the machine for a ride after plowing to charge it up.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
My name is Mike im from buffalo NY ....... just purchased a 2013 500ho..im looking for some information and looking to answer some questions if i can assist anyone on the forum!!!! .... this is my 1st polaris machine.... i used to have only arctic cats......

2) i need a new battery..... something preferably that requires minimal matinence, fits in stock location without alterations, and doesnt need to be on a tender all the time because i dont have power in my shed where atv is stored and have a really hard time taking the battery in and out with the location of the bolt/posts........ any info would be amazing!!!!!!! (ps i do alot of snow plowing with this 2500# warn winch...so it draws alot of power)

THOR is one of (if not the) best vendors on here. Check out his HID kits or give him a call.

HEY! Looking for ATV HID Lights?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Most kits I've seen for atv are in the 5000-6000K. Not really sure I know of a kit under 4000K You can check here too >> DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a DDM tuning kit on my atv. I have been very satisfied thus far. As stated above I think anything under 4300k is gonna be very hard to find. I have the 6000k and they are a very white light.

Also as far as the battery goes I am in the same boat. I got my shed built but didn't have time to run power out there so I am probably gonna extension cord it. As for the batteries I don't really think it matters what name brand you go with the shear size of the battery is going to limit its capacity then couple that with the high amp draw of the winch and I believe most atv stators produce around 480 watts of power but that is at pretty high engine speeds.

·
Registered
434 Posts
different quality of battery will definitely make a difference

·
Registered
434 Posts
different batteries will have different amp-hours will they not? also there are other threads stating the quality of the popo battery and from experience my after market battery lasts alot longer and will start my bike colder because of this

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
On the battery subject, there are only so many battery manufactures, regardless of name.

The OEM battery from Polaris is made by Yuasa. I have had a Yuasa in my motorcycle for 6 years. So Yuasa is a quality battery.

There isn't a battery that shouldn't be on a tender for longer storage.

But to get a battery to withstand a little better, look for an absorbed glass mat battery (AGM). They are a little more expensive than the lead acid batteries which would have been stock.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!!!!!

im stuck on 2500k amber headlights/hids...... they realy help and make the snow glow!!! i used to run only amber bulbs in my trucks (nokia 2500k ) and i could see everything!!!

from my past experience AGM have lasted longert and took more abuse.... but also in the past i have been able to keep a tender on the quads if i havent used them in a week or so....... lately after plowing i would go for a 10 minute cruise to try and charge the battery is that enough? by cruise i mean only 10mph around the block in H gear.... is that sufficient if i only use the quad 3-4x a week to plow???? will that keep it charged? i never had an issue with my CAT being and keeping charged for some reason but since i purchased the polaris i had to get the factory battery replaced after 3days off tender..(i think it was bad to begin with) could it be the charging sytem? (i havent had a problem in the last few days with oem replacemnt from my dealer)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

THOR is one of (if not the) best vendors on here. Check out his HID kits or give him a call.

HOW IS THE POWER DRAW? is it same as oem bulbs or more maybe less?? does anyone know? just wanna make sure its not gonna draw extra on my battery..... thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts

HOW IS THE POWER DRAW? is it same as oem bulbs or more maybe less?? does anyone know? just wanna make sure its not gonna draw extra on my battery..... thanks
They draw 35 watts, same as most all other kits. Think stock bulbs are 50 watt, so your drawing less... 2.9ADC vs 4.1ADC

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If you want a lower power draw you're looking at getting some aftermarket LED lights and using those instead of the headlights. Otherwise you're still drawing the same amount, just getting a different light signature.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you want a lower power draw you're looking at getting some aftermarket LED lights and using those instead of the headlights. Otherwise you're still drawing the same amount, just getting a different light signature.
While yes, LED will draw least amount, unless OP is wealthy, LED's are wayyyy overpriced (replacement LED headlights) compared to his other options. And as I stated above, the HID's will draw LESS than the stock bulbs (2.9A vs 4.1A)

·
Registered
434 Posts
170 i believe but we pay more for everything where i am. small town in northern bc in an oilfield comunity. everything from our polaris dealership is a 30% mark up from polaris parts house.com(just as a general reference i got the battery from napa)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts