Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m coming up on having my 550XP for 1 year and I`m going to be at 5000 miles as well. I want to really go over it for the riding season approaching. I still use it a lot and everything is working great. But I`m thinking I would be crazy not to at least change the belt and all the fluids. I have been keeping up with all the services myself. So I`d like to hear what you guys think. I`m planning on changing...
front diff fluid
rear diff fluid
tranny fluid
oil and filter
spark plug
maybe the belt? but its working great.
check brakes but them seem great as well
check tie rod ends, a arm bushings and bearings.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Damn.....you must be single with no kids. 5000 miles? Damn.....1yr....
You never mentioned if you've replaced any of those things you've listed and when. I'd do them all. Do you have a spare belt? 5000 miles I'd throw a new one on. Hell I replaced mine at 1300 miles just because and I wanted a spare belt.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I remember my 500 sportsman 6000 miles I thought I should replace belt so I buy one take old one off and measure wear, surprised to see hardly any so changed anyway and have good spare, they are not hard on belts if you use low range when you are supposed to and don.t paly in the mud, which I don't care for they will last 10,000 miles

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not replaced any parts on her except one rear axle boot that got torn and changed all the fluids every thousand miles. It still runs and drives great. Just want to keep it that way. I ride everyday right from my house so I get to put a lot of miles on. I love this machine! I also changed a belt on my old Sportsman 500 with 7000 miles on it at the time and it still looked new as well. I think its worth piece of mind and having a spare though.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn.....you must be single with no kids. 5000 miles? Damn.....1yr....
You never mentioned if you've replaced any of those things you've listed and when. I'd do them all. Do you have a spare belt? 5000 miles I'd throw a new one on. Hell I replaced mine at 1300 miles just because and I wanted a spare belt.
Single no, no kids yes.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ probably wouldn't hurt to do a coolant flush.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd definitely check ball joints, bushings and wheel bearings. I'm not an aggressive driver and could barely get 1000 miles out of a set of ball joints on my xp, so unless your just riding gravel roads or highway I bet they have some play in them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coolant and air filter are a couple of other things to check.

Ronnie
I forgot to mention I did the air filter. Coolant level is good and has good color to it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd definitely check ball joints, bushings and wheel bearings. I'm not an aggressive driver and could barely get 1000 miles out of a set of ball joints on my xp, so unless your just riding gravel roads or highway I bet they have some play in them.
I`m not an aggressive driver either but I do run aggressive trails. I don't beat it but I don't baby it either. I`ll be out in a fresh foot of snow today so there will be some full throttle riding ahead. :)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
This OP is a good example of how well a NON abused XP model SHOULD last.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
With 5,000 miles I would change all of the fluids. Have you changed the front, rear diff and tranny since you have owned it yet?

·
Registered
460 Posts
This may or may not be needed on the 550, but I think the 850 calls for a valve adjustment check at either 5k or 10k miles.

I am at work so I don't have the manual close by.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With 5,000 miles I would change all of the fluids. Have you changed the front, rear diff and tranny since you have owned it yet?
Oh ya, I change them every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hit 5000 today!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts