Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running 29" Maxxis Viprs on my 2020 Sportsman 1000. The tires fit but they are sure close to the rear footwell. I can't hardly fit my hand between them and I have adjusted the shocks some as well to help. I am thinking about adding the 2" High Lifter lift kit just to give me a little more room. Does anyone have any experience running this lift? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
ttulr3 I don’t have a 1000 and maybe I’m totally wrong on this but generally I don’t like that type of lift kit. I’d be more inclined to get Highlifter HD springs and maybe a little footwell surgery. BTW I put 26” on my 570 and it to was close and sometimes rubbed. With those HD springs the clearance is back again. I cant confirm that fir you but I know it would help.

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
I'd go with Highlifter HD springs like Sprotsman said and look into aftermarket floor boards. Wild Boar or Lucky 7 may have them.

Reactions: Sprotsman

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder how much stiffer the ride will be with the HD springs? I am guessing the springs aren't longer they are just stiffer so the weight of the bike doesn't compress the suspension as much thus giving you some lift. Where as the lift kit basically puts a spacer between the A arm and the shock/spring mount which then pushes up the bike. So is the issue with the lift kit the angle of the axles? Wouldn't the springs also change the angle of the axles? I am just trying to think through this. I appreciate any and all opinions and technically knowledge.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The HL 2” bracket lift is supposed to be real easy to install and you can run OEM axles with minimal issues. I’m not speaking from experience, just from research that I’ve done. Stiffer springs will maybe give you a little more lift but you compromise on the ride.

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Right so the springs aren't a lift all the geometry stays the same. Your machine just has less sag. For what you're looking for the springs and floorboards will do the trick. I don't like lifts I've seen way to many of them bend. Then there's the whole aspect that the geometry changes which isn't the biggest deal but it comes at a $$$. Like Gmartino said your stock axles should hold up if you decide to go with the lift.

·
Registered
28 Posts
why add springs. the suspension is still going to compress. if it isnt rubbing then i wouldn't worry about it.

but. we run 30" silverbacks with and without the 2" lift. only thing with the lift is youl want wheel spacers to gain some stability. stock axles have been fine so far

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Whether or not the HD springs compromise the ride is subjective. In my opinion it improves it. I have no experience with the 2” lift so I can’t say anything on that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am currently running 29" Maxxis Viprs on my 2020 Sportsman 1000. The tires fit but they are sure close to the rear footwell. I can't hardly fit my hand between them and I have adjusted the shocks some as well to help. I am thinking about adding the 2" High Lifter lift kit just to give me a little more room. Does anyone have any experience running this lift? If so, what are your thoughts on it?
Can't believe no one else said this before but the Sportsman XP 1000 has a rolled suspension so has the rear wheels go down they also go forward so would the wheel would closer with more spring preload or a lift . I myself noticed this when I jacked up my Sportsman.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As long as the tires don't rub, you are good to go. You can adjust the spring tension on the stock shocks. I have the same tires and bike. This is what I did. Rode it for a while with no lift and 29" VIPRS. I ride in deep snow all winter and needed more clearance and installed a 2" lift with the spring preload on softest setting. The kit I got was not a HL kit. It came from canada and was all stainless steel. Pretty easy install and have had no problems at all. I have about 1000 miles with lift kit. No problems with axles or bending anything. I rode it hard in deep snow, big rocks, and over fallen trees. You are not going to gain much if any clearance between the tires and foot well fender. Put a jack under the center of the bike and jack it up 2" and measure your clearance. Not much difference either way.

Over all pleased with the 2" kit. The biggest downfall is the bike stability. Now that spring is here and some of our regular trails are open, I am finding that on deep washouts and side hills it gets kind of tippy. Setting up the spring preload might help that but also make the bike sit even higher. To much preload makes the bike ride up on 3 wheels on really uneven terrain and then teater totter on two wheels. I don't really like that teeter totter feeling on steep hills.
I am considering removing the kit for the summer. Or buying another 1000 just for summer use and keep my lifted MY18 for winter.

D

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Deucer ever think to remove the sway-bar?? I drive to diverse of terrain to do it but I hear a lot of guys rave about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As long as the tires don't rub, you are good to go. You can adjust the spring tension on the stock shocks. I have the same tires and bike. This is what I did. Rode it for a while with no lift and 29" VIPRS. I ride in deep snow all winter and needed more clearance and installed a 2" lift with the spring preload on softest setting. The kit I got was not a HL kit. It came from canada and was all stainless steel. Pretty easy install and have had no problems at all. I have about 1000 miles with lift kit. No problems with axles or bending anything. I rode it hard in deep snow, big rocks, and over fallen trees. You are not going to gain much if any clearance between the tires and foot well fender. Put a jack under the center of the bike and jack it up 2" and measure your clearance. Not much difference either way.

Over all pleased with the 2" kit. The biggest downfall is the bike stability. Now that spring is here and some of our regular trails are open, I am finding that on deep washouts and side hills it gets kind of tippy. Setting up the spring preload might help that but also make the bike sit even higher. To much preload makes the bike ride up on 3 wheels on really uneven terrain and then teater totter on two wheels. I don't really like that teeter totter feeling on steep hills.
I am considering removing the kit for the summer. Or buying another 1000 just for summer use and keep my lifted MY18 for winter.

D
this is the kit that we run. adding 1.25 or 1.5" wheel spacers will give you back the stability. I just run 1" on my bike though

·
Registered
268 Posts
I gave some thought to wheel spacer but, we ride 50" trails and with the VPRS on stock wheels I am at 49" on the rear. 1" spacers would probably rub at 51" but any more would not pass. The forest service puts in great big baracades to prevent anything bigger than 50". Any of our bridges and cattle gates are just hardly wide enough for a 50". When they install these gates and bridges, they make sure they are only 50". I wish they would just give up and make 60" the standard. I would love to have the new 1000s 55" bike. Anyhow, thanks for the idea, I may try 1" just to see if I can get by.

D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I currently have run the HL 2" bracket lift and 30" ITP Cryptids. The 28s i had were very close so when I went to 30s I decided to lift it. Gave me enough clearance without rubbing in the rear or front obviously. Super easy install and ride comfort was only effected a little(stiffer). I run different offset wheels than factory (Ranger 1000 HL) so they stick out a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
171 Posts
I have also installed the HL 2” Lift kit on my ‘19 850SP. It does definitely make the ride stiffer. Since I’m only 175lbs and don’t often load it up with gear, it was too stiff for me and I removed it. Many heavier riders that load up their machines are happy with it. I’m in my late 50’s and enjoy how the stock set up soaks up bumps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts