Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I installed a 2" lift and a set of 29" takeoffs wheels and tire from a RZR. I was amazed this past weekend that I never took a hit on the skid plates. I ended up with just over 4" of lift with the kit and tires. I can actually see the full arch of the A frames now. Had no rubbing issues with the tall tires. Handling did change just a tad, but nothing drastic. By the end of the weekend it just felt like it always did. It's a good inexpensive, worth doing upgrade.

This is the lift kit I installed, it is very robust and easy to install.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-2-SUSPENSION-LIFT-KIT-Polaris-Sportsman-SP-850-XP-1000-2014-18/262637647262?

·
10,595 Posts
How much did the lift stretch the OEM axles rutcutter?
I wouldn't care to get a little more clearance but if its gonna be hard on axles I don't know if I want to do it. I'm running 28's and get a little rub on the flares under compression. Thought I might just turn the springs up a little to see if that helps. I'm still on the lowest setting cause I love the ride. :grin
Of course I see you have Elkas I want too. They worth the green?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sold on the Elka's. They are an improvement over stock but were dang hard to get to work/adjusted for my riding style. I don't think the axles are binding at all, yes they have a steeper angle but I don't really think they are stretched length wise any.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Last week I installed a 2" lift and a set of 29" takeoffs wheels and tire from a RZR. I was amazed this past weekend that I never took a hit on the skid plates. I ended up with just over 4" of lift with the kit and tires. I can actually see the full arch of the A frames now. Had no rubbing issues with the tall tires. Handling did change just a tad, but nothing drastic. By the end of the weekend it just felt like it always did. It's a good inexpensive, worth doing upgrade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-2-SUSPENSION-LIFT-KIT-Polaris-Sportsman-SP-850-XP-1000-2014-18/262637647262?
I was looking at the same lift kit. How is the angle on the axles afterword? I don't want to be replacing axles every 1000 miles or so.

D

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I was looking at the same lift kit. How is the angle on the axles afterword? I don't want to be replacing axles every 1000 miles or so.

D
The axles are not maxed, I have around 3 inches of sag when jacked up. Right now I have a lot of preload adjusted into my Elka's. I was trying to get the ride height back to stock. With the lift I can back it off some to get a little better ride and axle angle.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My rears have only about 1" more adjustment. The fronts have around 2" more. I used the tool that came with them to adjust them. Make sure you jack up the machine before adjusting. Originally when I put them on I lost 3" of the OEM ride height. The ride was soft and cushy like the stock ride. Most trails I ride here in Utah are very rocky and I was bottoming out a lot. That is why I almost maxed out the preload on the Elkas. I did get the ride height back and a touch more by doing the preload adjustment. The ride stiffened alot over the OEM ride, it is not an issue for me because I am a very aggressive rider and these 1000s are heavy and when mine is fully loaded it has to be pushing close to 7-8 hundred pounds (a guess). I was still bottoming out.

Since installing the lift I stopped probably over 90% of the bottoming out. This coming week will be a good test as I will be riding a VERY rocky area in southern Utah. I am going to back off a little of the preload to try and soften the ride up a little.

As of right now I love the lift, and the look the lift gives the machine. I was worried about raising the center of gravity, but last week I was riding the slick rock in Moab on very steep off camber angles and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok thanks for info I have exact same quad as u and I bottom out way more with the elkas. I guess I will have to crank them up more and maybe add that 2 inch lift. I am running 26 inch terra cross . I was riding in Arizona alot this winter and I couldn't believe how many rocks in the middle of the trail were hitting my skid plate. I was almost gonna put my stickers back on. Thanks again.
O.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts